How To: Decrease Petty Cash Fund

Who does this?  Department heads to make requests and petty cash custodians to reconcile the fund and to deposit the un-needed funds

When?  When a petty cash fund needs to be decreased

How?  By contacting Financial Support Center


Decrease Petty Cash Fund (4 steps)

step 1

Reconcile the petty cash fund.

step 2

Determine appropriate reduced fund amount.

step 3

Prepare "un-needed" cash for deposit (This is the difference between the original petty cash fund amount and desired reduced amount):

  1. Contact Financial Support Centerto obtain the PTAE to use to deposit the funds.
  2. Complete a Wells Fargo Deposit Ticket, available at the University Payments Office, AND complete Department Transmittal Form (Deposit Form).
    • Use the account Project, Task and Award numbers provided by Cash Management.
    • Under Explanation of Deposit, indicate "decrease petty cash fund # 82XXX."
step 4

Deposit the un-needed cash at Wells Fargo Bank, 2nd floor, Tresidder Memorial Union:

  1. Obtain a receipt for the deposit from Wells Fargo Bank.
  2. Send a copy of the deposit receipt AND the Department Transmittal Form to Financial Support Centervia email, or to Cash Management via ID Mail to MC 8440.
  3. Retain the deposit receipt from the Wells Fargo Bank with petty cash records.
back to top


What Happens Next?

  • Cash Management will confirm via email to the requesting department that the fund size has been decreased.
back to top


back to top