How To: Get Certified as a Petty Cash Custodian
Who does this? Staff designated by department head
When? Before assuming responsibility for a petty cash fund
How? By completing the Steps below
Get Certified as a Petty Cash Custodian (4 steps)
Review the Administrative Guide Policy 5.4.4
Review the Petty Cash Administration section of the Gateway to Financial Activities web site
- Review these tabs: Overviews, How To…, Policy Notes, Resources and Forms.
Receive self-service privilege "SU Expense Requests" in Authority Manager
- Complete FIN-0500: Introduction to the Expense Requests System online training.
Be certified as a Petty Cash Custodian in order to get access to Petty Cash function within the Expense Requests system
- Complete FIN-0506: Petty Cash Administration
Note: To pass, custodians must score at least 80% on the final test.
What Happens Next?
- Following certification and receipt of the approval from a department head for a new petty cash fund, Cash Management will:
- issue a check for the amount of the new petty cash fund to the designated custodian
- grant the petty cash custodian access to the Petty Cash function within Expense Requests
- The certified custodian can proceed to set up the new petty cash fund.
- The custodian remains accountable for the petty cash until fund closes or a new custodian is designated. See Overview: Administering a Petty Cash Fund
- Financial Support Center (3-2772)