How To: Report a Petty Cash Theft
Who does this? Stanford petty cash custodians or department heads
When? When there has been a suspected theft of petty cash
How? By reporting the theft to the department head, Stanford Police Department and Treasury Director, and requesting replacement funds, indicating "Theft"
Report a Petty Cash Theft (3 steps)
- Contact your department head and Stanford Police at 650-723-9633.
- Obtain police report.
- Notify Treasury Director of the theft and include a copy of the police report.
Note: To prevent theft, petty cash should be kept in a locked box and placed in a locked drawer or cabinet.
Record the amount stolen:
- Enter the amount stolen in the Expense Requests Petty Cash module as an expense line item.
Note: The Petty Cash module only accepts expense line items up to $100. If the amount stolen is greater than $100, it must be entered in the Expense Requests Payment Request module. (GP: System name sound ok?)
- Indicate Theft in the Business Purpose field.
- When entering allocation information, i.e. department charge account, use an unrestricted or unallowable expenditure type.
Include the police report as backup documentation for the reimbursement request recording the stolen amount:
- Upload a copy of the police report.
~ OR ~
- Print the Petty Cash Bar Code Cover Page.
- Fax Police Report as backup documentation, using the Bar Code Cover Page as the fax cover sheet.
Note: The instructions on the Bar Code Cover Page include the fax number.
What Happens Next?
- Payment Services department sends a replenishment check to the petty cash custodian's ID mail address.
- Financial Support Center (3-2772)