Overview: Stanford's Travel Card Program
Procurement offers University issued and paid MasterCards called Stanford Travel Cards that can be used for buying travel and travel-related services required for the conduct of University business. Travel expenses charged to the Stanford Travel MasterCard will be paid directly by the University to JPMorgan.
Important Note: All expenses charged to travel cards must still be reported in Expense Requests. See About Expense Requests for more information.
On this page:
Travel Card Types
There are two types of Stanford Travel Cards:
- Department Travel Cards issued to department administrators as a means to pay for travel-related purchases for occasional travelers, students, or non-employees.
- Individual Travel Cards issued to individuals (faculty, staff, and post-doctoral fellows) who travel frequently on Stanford business.
Eligibility and Online Application Form
Eligibility is based on a departmentally-determined business need, and is contingent upon:
- completed online application, specifying a guarantee account number (PTA),
- approvals from both the prospective cardholder's manager or department chair / dean and appropriate financial approver,
- execution of online cardholder agreement,
- assignment of person responsible for validating transactions and originating expense reports, and
- completion of required online training
- FIN-0400: Traveling for Stanford University (for Cardholders and assigned validators / originators)
- FIN-0402: Expense Reports with Travel Card Charges (for assigned validators / originators)
>> To apply for a Travel Card, complete and submit the Stanford Travel Card (MasterCard) Online Application Form
>> To make changes to an existing Travel Card account, follow How To: Request Changes to Stanford Travel Card (TCard) Account instructions.
Proper Travel Card Use
Cardholders may only use the Travel Card for University travel-related business transactions. Cardholders (travelers and administrators) are responsible for ensuring that all charges comply with policy and are properly itemized, supported by a business purpose, approved, and submitted via the Expense Requests expense reporting process.
The Travel Card may not be used for personal expenses (except for incidental expenses that can not be easily separated from a business charge). The cardholder is personally responsible for repaying Stanford University for any non-reimbursable Travel Card charges.
For details on Travel Card Policy, see Policy Notes: Stanford Travel Card Policy.
For additional help, contact the Financial Support Center (3-2772).