In am interested in the broad area of computational engineering: the design and analysis of engineering systems aided by computers. The focus of my research is in fluid mechanics and numerical analysis with applications ranging from hypersonic flight to bio-hazard dispersion in urban environment. I am also leading an effort at Stanford on Uncertainty Quantification in computational science with the objective of increasing confidence in numerical simulations of complex systems.
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Politecnico di Bari, Italy, 2005
- M.S. Aeronautical Engineering, University of Naples, Italy, 1993
Academic Honors and Awards
- Presidential Early Career Award in Science and Engineering (PECASE), November 2010.
- Best paper at the Automotive CFD Conference, Frankfurt, Germany, July 2007.
- Terman Fellow, Stanford University, March 2007.
Selected Journal Publications
- Convergence of the Bouguer--Beer law for radiation extinction in particulate media. A. Frankel, G. Iaccarino and A. Mani. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 182:45-54, 2016. (URL) (BIB)
- A matching pursuit approach to solenoidal filtering of three-dimensional velocity measurements. D. Schiavazzi, F. Coletti, G. Iaccarino and J.K. Eaton. Journal of Computational Physics, 263:206-221, 2014. (URL) (BIB)
- Simplex stochastic collocation with ENO-type stencil selection for robust uncertainty quantification. J.A.S. Witteveen and G. Iaccarino. Journal of Computational Physics, 239:1-21, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- Modeling of structural uncertainties in Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes closures. M. Emory, J. Larsson and G. Iaccarino. Physics of Fluids, 25(11):110822, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- Subcell resolution in simplex stochastic collocation for spatial discontinuities. J.A.S. Witteveen and G. Iaccarino. Journal of Computational Physics, 251:17-52, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- Large-eddy simulation of passive scalar dispersion in an urban-like canopy. D.A. Philips, R. Rossi and G. Iaccarino. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 723:404-428, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- A method for the direct numerical simulation of hypersonic boundary-layer instability with finite-rate chemistry. O. Marxen, T.E. magin, E.S.G. Shaqfeh and G. Iaccarino. Journal of Computational Physics, 255:572-589, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- Chemical kinetic uncertainty quantification for large eddy simulation of turbulent nonpremixed combustion. M. Mueller, G. Iaccarino and H. Pitsch. Proc. of the Combustion Institute, 34(1):1299-1306, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- Simulations of a sphere sedimenting in a viscoelastic fluid with cross shear flow. S. Padhy, E.S.G. Shaqfeh, G. Iaccarino, J.F. Morris and N. Tonmukayakul. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 197, 2013. (URL) (BIB)
- Effect of viscoelasticity in the high Reynolds number cylinder wake. D. Richter, G. Iaccarino and E.S.G. Shaqfeh. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 693:297-318, 2012. (URL) (BIB)
- An aerodynamic investigation of an isolated rotating Formula 1 wheel assembly. J. Axerio-Cilies and G. Iaccarino. Journal of Fluids Engineering, 134(12), 2012. (URL) (BIB)
- Floquet stability analysis of viscoelastic flow over a cylinder. D. Richter, E.S.G. Shaqfeh, and G. Iaccarino. Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 166:554-565, 2011. (URL) (BIB)
Current Ph.D. Students