From Language Center Technology Resources
CourseWork 5 is based on the Sakai Project, an open-community Learning Management System with participants from all over the world. Sakai is a very powerful application, and most of us will only use a small portion of the functions. Learn the basics first, but try to extend yourself by trying out new tools to see if they can meet other needs you have. If you do run into something you don't understand, look at the help documentation on CourseWork, and on the pages here, but if you still can't figure it out, submit a helpsu with a clear explanation.
- CourseWork Tutorial - Instructions for the self-study CourseWork tutorial for Language Center instructors.
- For Students: CourseWork Assignments - Instructors can direct students to this page or hand out the pdf in class. [pdf version]
- Creating sites - For instructors setting up new sites.
- CourseWork Basics - The layout of the CW page, and how to upload a syllabus.
- CourseWork Assignments: Basics - An overview of the Assignments tool, editing and publishing existing assignments, scoring basics and a few recommendations.
- CW5 Assignments: Creating - Copying and creating assignments, including importing, adding attachments, changing settings and an overview of some of the assignment types. Also information on editing published assignments.
- Coursework Advanced Techniques: Beyond the Basics - Customizing your site with embedded images, video and webpages. Tips for how to give students a bit more agency in collaboration and content creation.
- CourseWork Managing a Program - Recommendations for program coordinators.
- CourseWork5 / Sakai Wish List - The requests I have made, plus a few wild ideas.
- CourseWork5 Upgrade Notices - Email sent to instructors about recent upgrades
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I import assignments from a resource site? Go to Site Info >> Import from Site and then click the checkbox for the resource site. Click Continue at the bottom of the page and you will see a page that allows you to choose what you want to import. Click the checkbox next to Assignments and then click Finish.
- How do I add participants to a site? Go to Site Info >> Add Participants and then enter the SUNetIDs in the box.
- What settings should I check before I release an assignment? Delivery Dates >> Assignment Released to: (the course roster, NOT Anonymous Users) >> Timed Assignment: (use carefully - allow a realistic amount of time) >> Submissions (Number of submissions allowed) >> Feedback >> Grading (make sure it is NOT anonymous).
- How do I release an assignment? Open Settings >> Delivery Dates and make sure they are as you would like them. Then click Save Settings and Publish.
- What should I tell my students? See the list on CW5 for Students. Feel free to print it out and give it to them.