Obama 2012: Immigration and the Economy
By Editorial Team, published June, 2011
It is too early to confidently predict what will make or break President Obama’s bid for reelection. However, there do seem to be certain trends. First, the economy is not improving at the rate the administration and Americans had hoped. In fact, many indicators are actually worsening as a result of rising gas prices (itself a result of the Middle East turmoil) and Japan’s sagging performance following the March tsunami. This leaves a window for a moderate Republican (a Pawlenty or a Romney) to exploit Americans’ basic fears about another economic downturn. If things don’t pick up, Obama’s campaign will have to work very hard to convince voters that at least things aren’t as bad as they might have been.
A more positive development for Democrats (which was unfortunately buried under the buzz about Representative Anthony Wiener’s wiener) is that the Census Bureau released a report analyzing the growth in the Hispanic population that was shown in the 2010 census. This has left Republicans scrambling to change what many have considered racist and xenophobic tones in their messages. Although Hispanics are a diverse group in and of themselves, and do not always vote one way or another, Democrats are in an excellent position to capitalize on the Tea Party and Arizona SB 1070 to show Hispanics that one party clearly appreciates them more. Some strategists have even hinted that the Hispanic boom will put Texas in play, if not for 2012 then for 2016. Now that’s a game-changer.
Leave a comment »
Share this Article
- Increasing confidence plane wreckage is from MH370, Australian official says - CNN
- Experts: NYPD body camera program needs tweaks, community input - New York Daily News
- November Retrial Date Expected for Former BP Engineer - ABC News
- Afghan Taliban praise new leader in statement - Fox News
- Palestinian toddler killed in 'Jewish settler' arson attack - BBC News
- History of hate: An unremorseful plot to murder at the gay pride parade - Ynetnews
- Maryland gov announces plan to close worn down Baltimore detention center - Fox News
- Inching towards the end - The Economist
- Ohio State marching band song mocked Holocaust victims - Fox News
- George HW Bush tweets recovery photo - USA TODAY
The hush-hush of politics is controlling a segment of people without those people recognizing the... (Perspective: Occupy Stanford, Occupy The Future, and Why Care? )
yeah you are right, internet does provides a bridge between politicians and common people, i have... (Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport: Lobbying For Your Interests)
That the question, Who cares if I sign this petition? (Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport: Lobbying For Your Interests)
Yes Lee, the similarities between 1932 and 2011 are very strong.
The two prevailing factors to m... (Social Unrest and Money Printing: Is 2011 America's New 1932?)
The more I read the more depressed I become. There are now millions of former WWII children of wa... (Norway’s New Prisons: Could They Work Here?)