Political Science, Ethics in Society, Philosophy, and Graduate School of Education
- Introduction to the Humanities (IHUM) 63: Freedom, Equality, and Difference
- Thinking Matters, Constituting Justice (with Pamela Karlan)
- Thinking Matters, Justice and the Constitution (with William S. Koski)
- Political Science 35Q: Food and Politics
- Political Science 53N: Plato and Aristotle on Justice
- Political Science 131: Children’s Citizenship (Cross listed in Education, American Studies, Program in Human Biology, Program in Ethics in Society)
- Political Science 133: Ethics and Politics in Public Service (Cross listed in American Studies, Program in Ethics in Society, Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity, Urban Studies, Human Biology, Public Policy)
- Political Science 132S: Theories of Civil Society and the Nonprofit Sector
- Political Science 137R: Justice at Home and Abroad: Civil Rights in the 21st Century
- Political Science 231S: Contemporary Theories of Justice
- Political Science 334: Research Workshop on Philanthropy and Civil Society
- Political Science 340: Graduate Seminar on Autonomy
- Political Science 440: Political Theory Workshop, 2008-2012, 2014-present
- Ethics in Society 190: Honors Seminar
Stanford Summer Philosophy Discovery Institute
Founder and Co-Director
1999-2004 Created and co-direct a residential summer philosophy program for high school students.
- Provides high school students an introduction to philosophy with the long-run goal of increasing enrollment, especially minority enrollment, in college-level philosophy courses.
- Institute attracted applicants from across the United States and from Canada, Europe, and Asia in its first year; it has quadrupled in size since 2000, and enrolled 100 students.
Hope House Scholars Program
Co-Founder and Instructor
- Designed and helped to implement a new program to provide Humanities courses to low income members of the communities surrounding Stanford. Course began at Hope House, a residential substance abuse facility for women in Redwood City, CA, in April 2001.
- Awarded (with Debra Satz) the 2010 Stanford University Miriam Aaron Roland Volunteer Service Prize, recognizing “Stanford faculty who engage and involve students in integrating academic scholarship with significant and meaningful volunteer service to society.”
Rusk Elementary School, Houston, TX
Sixth Grade Teacher
Princeton University Press
University of Chicago Press
Harvard University Press
Stanford University Press
Yale University Press
American Political Science Review
PS: Political Science & Politics
Perspectives in Politics
Ethics and Economics
Politics, Philosophy & Economics
Canadian Journal of Philosophy
Journal of Political Philosophy
Social Theory and Practice
Ethics and International Affairs
Journal of School Choice
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Theory and Research in Education
2002- 2005 American Political Science Association, Member of the Standing Committee on Civic Education and Engagement, 2002-2005.
2009-2012 Study of Undergraduate Education at Stanford, 2009-2012.
2007-present Stanford University Strategic Advisory Group on Recruitment and Retention of Diverse Faculty, 2007-present.
2005-2006 Philosophy of Education Society Annual Program Committee, 2005-06.
2009-2011 Committee on Undergraduate Admission and Financial Aid (C-UAFA), 2009-2011.
2010-2014 Faculty Service Learning Committee, Haas Center for Public Service, 2010-14.
2010-2014 Faculty Steering Committee, McCoy Family Center for Ethics in Society, 2010-14.
2010-2014 Faculty Steering Committee, Structured Liberal Education (SLE), 2010-14.
Service to Stanford
2015-present Faculty Director, Center for Ethics in Society
2014-present Search Committee for new Dean, Graduate School of Education
2014-present Faculty Advisory Committee, Vice Provost for Online Learning
2013 Review Committee, Miriam Roland Prize, Haas Center
2012-2014 Elected to the Faculty Senate, Stanford University
2012-2014 Breadth Governance Board
2012-2013 Chair, Graduate Admissions Committee, Dept. of Political Science
2011-present Advisory Board, Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS)
2008-2015 Faculty Director, Program on Ethics in Society
2008-present Faculty Co-Director, Center on Philanthropy and Civil Society
2006-2008 Director of Undergraduate Studies, Dept. of Political Science
2005-2008 Curriculum Committee, Dept. of Political Science
2000-2002 Graduate Admissions Committee, Dept. of Political Science
Multiple Search Committees, Dept. of Political Science
Review Committee, John Gardner Fellowship, Haas Center
Grant and Fellowship Reviewer
2004, 2005 Spencer Foundation (Reviewed fellowship applications)
2002-2006, 2010 Stanford Humanities Center (Reviewed fellowship applications)
Other Service and Outreach
1999-2005 Senior Research Associate, The Aspen Institute.
Contribute to planning, design, and execution of annual workshop of the Aspen Institute Program on Education in a Changing Society.
2008- 2015 Board of Trustees, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Executive Committee, Audit Committee, Nominating Committee.
2008-present Moderator, Aspen Institute Seminars.
2010-2012 Member, National Commission on Civic Investment in Public Education.
2012- present Co-Founder and Advisor to the #GivingTuesday campaign.
2012- present Board of Trustees, Boston Review.
2013-present Board of Trustees, GiveWell.org.