Activities During the 2010-11 Academic Year
- Remi Kanazi, Palestinian spoken-word artist and activist, performed as part of his Poetic Injustice: Writings on Resistance and Palestine tour, April 28, 2011 [see the flyer].
- Renewing the Call for Divestment: A Campaign to Divest from Companies that Profit from Human Rights Violations in Israel/Palestine, the event at which SPER formally renewed its call for divestment, April, 14, 2011, featuring Stanford law student and former Fulbright Scholar Omar Shakir, Donald J. McLachlan Professor of History and Professor of Middle East History at Stanford Joel Beinin, Senior Lecturer and Coordinator of Program in Middle Eastern and African Literatures, Cultures and Languages at Stanford Khalil Barhoum, and Deputy Director of Jewish Voice for Peace Cecilie Surasky [see the flyer].
- Op-Ed: A Call for Action—Moving Beyond (But Not Away From) Dialogue, by Jenna Queenan, published in the Stanford Daily, April 14, 2011 [read the article].
- The 'Goldstone Report' & the Application of International Law to the Arab-Israeli Conflict, a discussion featuring Justice Richard Goldstone, Noura Erakat, Victor Kattan, Abraham Bell, Peter Berkowitz, and Prof. Allen Weiner, March 28, 2011 (co-sponsored with the Stanford International Law Society, the Jewish Law Students Association, and the Muslim Student Awareness Network) [see the flyer] [watch the video].
- Victor Kattan and Noura Erakat, Democracy, Representation, and Palestine, March 28, 2011 [see the flyer].
- Laila El-Haddad (creator of the blog www.gazamom.com), What's Life Like in Gaza?, February 15, 2011 [see the flyer] [read the report in the Stanford Daily].
- Anarchists Against the Wall, Protesting the Wall, January 18, 2011 [see the flyer].
- Screening of Peace, Propaganda, and the Promised Land, November 16, 2010, with an introduction by Palestinian journalist Saed Bannoura [watch the film] [see the flyer].
- Ali Abunimah (journalist, author, and founder of the Electronic Intifada), Palestine-Israel: What is the Alternative to Peace Talks to Nowhere?, November 3, 2010 [watch the video] [see the flyer].
- Screening of Encounter Point, October 20, 2010.
- Adam Shapiro (co-founder of the International Solidarity Movement, board member of the Free Gaza Movement, and an organizer of the U.S. Boat to Gaza project), the Freedom Flotilla, the Free Gaza Movement, and the US Boat to Gaza, September 9, 2010 [watch the video] [see the flyer].
We have other exciting events planned for the spring quarter, so keep an eye on our upcoming events page. Information about our divestment campaign can be found here, and an archive of SPER's activities between 2006 and 2010 is here.