1. Adamcik, R.S., and L.B. Keith. 1978. Regional movements and mortality of Great Horned Owls in relation to snowshoe hare fluctuations. Can. Field-Nat. 92:228-234.
2. Afton, A.D. 1979a. Incubation temperatures of the Northern Shoveler. Can. J. Zool. 57:1052-1056.
3. Afton, A.D. 1979b. Time budget of breeding Northern Shovelers. Wilson Bull. 91:42-49.
4. Afton, A.D. 1984. Influence of age and time on reproductive performance of female Lesser Scaup. Auk 101:255-265.
5. Aldrich, JW, and J.S. Weske. 1978. Origin and evolution of the eastern House Finch population. Auk 95:528-536.
6. Allen, G.T., R.K. Murphy, K. Steenhof, and SW Platt. 1986. Late fledging dates, renesting, and large clutches of Prairie Falcons. Wilson Bull. 98:463-465.
7. American Ornithologists' Union. 1985. Thirty-fifth Supplement to the American Ornithologists' Union Check-list of North American Birds. Auk 102:680-686.
8. Anderson, G.L., and E.J. Braun. 1985. Postrenal modifications of urine in birds. Am. J. Physiol. 248 17:R93-R98.
9. Applegate, R.D. 1977. Possible ecological role of food caches of Loggerhead Shrike. Auk 94:391-392.
10. Arcese, P. 1987. Age, intrusion pressure and defense against floaters by territorial male Song Sparrows. Anim. Behav. 35:773-784.
11. Armbruster, J.S. 1982. Wood Duck displays and pairing chronology. Auk 99:116-122.
12. Atkinson, C.T., and C.J. Ralph. 1980. Acquisition of plumage polymorphism in White-throated Sparrows. Auk 97:245-252.
13. Atwood J.L. 1980. Social interactions in the Santa Cruz Island Scrub Jay. Condor 82:440-448.
14. Baldwin, P.H., and W.H. Hunter. 1963. Nesting and nest visitors of the Vaux's Swift in Montana. Auk 80:81-85.
15. Baldwin, P.H., and N.K. Zaczkowski. 1963. Breeding biology of the Vaux's Swift. Condor 65:400-406.
16. Balph, M.H. 1975. Development of young Brewer's Blackbirds. Wilson Bull. 87:207-230.
17. Balph, M.H. 1979. Flock stability in relation to social dominance and agonistic behavior in wintering Dark-eyed Juncos. Auk 96:714-722.
18. Barbour, D.B. 1982. Communal roosting in wintering Hooded Mergansers. J. Field Ornithol. 53:279-280.
19. Beason, R.C., and E.C. Franks. 1974. Breeding behavior of the Horned Lark. Auk 91:65-74.
20. Beaver, D.L., and P.H. Baldwin. 1975. Ecological overlap and the problem of competition and sympatry in the Western and Hammond's Flycatchers. Condor 77:1-13.
21. Becker, D.M. 1985. Food habits of Richardson's Merlins in southeastern Montana. Wilson Bull. 97:226-230.
22. Bedard, J., and G. LaPointe. 1985. Influence of parental age and season on Savannah Sparrow reproductive success. Condor 87:106-110.
23. Bedard, J., and M. Meunier. 1983. Parental care in the Savannah Sparrow. Can. J. Zool. 61:2836-2843.
24. Bednarz, J.C., and J.J. Dinsmore. 1981. Status, habitat use, and management of Red-shouldered Hawks in Iowa. J. Wildl. Manage. 45:236-241.
25. Beecham. J.J., and M.N. Kochert. 1975. Breeding biology of the Golden Eagle in southwestern Idaho. Wilson Bull. 87:506-513.
26. Beecher, M.D., RK. Stoddard, and P. Loesche. 1985. Recognition of parents' voices by young Cliff Swallows. Auk 102:600-605.
27. Bekoff, M., A.C. Scott, and D.A. Conner. 1987. Nonrandom nest-site selection in Evening Grosbeaks. Condor 89:819-829.
28. Belles-Isles, J.-C., and J. Picman. 1986a. House Wren nest-destroying behavior. Condor 88:190-193.
29. Belles-Isles, J.-C., and J. Picman. 1986b. Nesting losses and nest site preferences in House Wrens. Condor 88:483-486.
30. Bellrose, F.C. 1976. Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America, second edition. Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, PA.
31. Bent, A.C. 1919-1968. Life Histories of North American Birds. United States National Museum: Washington, DC. 26 Vols. Reprinted by Dover, New York, 1962-1968. The volumes and their original publication dates cited in this web-site are: Thrushes, Kinglets, and Their Allies (1949); Blackbirds, Orioles, Tanagers, and Their Allies (1958); Cardinals, Grosbeaks, Buntings, Towhees, Finches, Sparrows, and Their Allies, vol. 1 (1968), vol. 2 (1968), Vol.3 (1968).
32. Bergman, R.D., P. Swain, and M.W. Weller. 1970. A comparative study of nesting Forster's and Black Terns. Wilson Bull. 82:435-444.
33. Biermann, G.C., and S.G. Sealy. 1979. Parental feeding of nestling Yellow Warblers in relation to brood size and prey availability. Auk 99:332- 341.
34. Bitterbaum, E., and L.F. Baptista. 1979. Geographical variation in songs of California House Finches (Carpodacus mexicanus). Auk 96:462- 474.
35. Blancher, Pj., and R.J. Robertson. 1984. Resource use by sympatric kingbirds. Condor 86:305-313.
36. Blancher, PJ., and R.J. Robertson. 1987. Effect of food supply on the breeding biology of Western Kingbirds. Ecology 68:723 - 732.
37. Boersma, P.D., and J.P. Ryder. 1983. Reproductive performance and body condition of earlier and later nesting Ring-billed Gulls. J. Field Ornithol. 54:374-380.
38. Bohall-Wood, P. 1987. Abundance, habitat use, and perch use of Loggerhead Shrikes in north-central Florida. Wilson Bull. 99:82-86.
39. Bossema, I., and E. Roemers. 1985. Mating strategy, including mate choice, in Mallards. Ardea 73:147-157.
40. Breitwisch, R. and G.H. Whitesides. 1987. Directionality of singing and nonsinging behavior of mated and unmated Northern Mockingbirds, Alimus polyglottos. Anim. Behav. 35:331-339.
41. Breitwisch, R., P.G. Merritt, and G.H. Whitesides. 1986. Parental investment by the Northern Mockingbird: male and female roles in feeding nestlings. Auk 103:152-159.
42. Brooks, R.P., and W.J. Davis. 1987. Habitat selection by breeding Belted Kingfishers (Ceryle alcyon). Amer. Midi. Nat. 117:63-70.
43. Brown, L., and D. Amadon. 1968. Eagles, Hawks, and Falcons of the World. 2 vols. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
44. Brown, C.R., and M.B. Brown. 1986. Ectoparasitism as a cost of coloniality in Cliff Swallows (Hirundo pyrrhonota). Ecology 67:1206 - 1218.
45. Brown, J.L. 1964. The integration of agonistic behavior in the Steller's Jay Cyanocitta stelleri (Gmelin). Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 60:223 - 328.
46. Brown, C.R. 1979. Territoriality in the Purple Martin. Wilson Bull. 91:583-591.
47. Brown, C.R. 1983. Vocalizations and behavior of Violet-green Swallows in the Chiricahua Mountains, Arizona. Wilson Bull. 95:142-145.
48. Brown, C.R. 1986. Cliff Swallow colonies as information centers. Science 234:83-85.
49. Bunn, D.S., A.B. Warburton, and R.D.S. Wilson. 1982. The Barn Owl. Buteo Books, Vermillion, SD.
50. Burger, J., and M. Gochfeld. 1985. Nest site selection by Laughing Gulls: comparison of tropical colonies (Culebra, Puerto Rico) with temperate colonies (New Jersey). Condor 87:364-373.
51. Burger, J. 1983. Competition between two species of nesting gulls: on the importance of timing. Behav. Neurosci. 97:492-501.
52. Burger, J. 1984. Pattern, Mechanism, and Adaptive Significance of Territoriality in Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus). Ornithol. Monogr. No. 34.
53. Burton, J.A. (ed.). 1984. Owls of the World: Their Evolution, Structure and Ecology, 2nd edition. Tanager Books, Dover, NH.
54. Busby, D.G., and S.G. Sealy. 1979. Feeding ecology of a population of nesting Yellow Warblers. Can. J. Zool. 57:1670-1681.
55. Caccamise, D.F. 1974. Competitive relationships of the Common and Lesser Nighthawks. Condor 76:1-20.
56. Cade, T.J. 1982. The Falcons of the World. Cornell Univ. Press, Ithaca, NY.
57. Cade, T.J., J.L. Lincer, C.M. White, D.G. Roseneau, and L.G. Swartz. 1971. DDE residues and eggshell changes in Alaskan falcons and hawks. Science 172:955-957.
58. Catzeflis, F 1978. Reproductive biology of the Water Pipit. Nos Oiseaux 34:287-302.
59. Chaplin, S.B., D.A. Diesel, and J.A. Kasparie. 1984. Body temperature regulation in Red- tailed Hawks and Great Horned Owls: responses to air temperature and food deprivation. Condor 86:175 - 181.
60. Cherry, J.D. 1985. Early autumn movements and prebasic molt of Swainson's Thrushes. Wilson Bull. 97:368-370.
61. Clark, R.G., and R.D. Ohmart. 1985. Spread-wing posture of Turkey Vultures: single or multiple function? Condor 87:350-355.
62. Collins, C.T. 1983. A reinterpretation of pamprodactyly in swifts: a convergent grasping mechanism in vertebrates. Auk 100:735-737.
63. Collopy, M.W. 1977. Food caching by female American Kestrels in winter. Condor 79:63 - 68.
64. Collopy, M.W. 1984. Parental care and feeding ecology of Golden Eagle nestlings. Auk 101:753-760.
65. Colvin, B.A. 1985. Common Barn-Owl population decline in Ohio and the relationship to agricultural trends. J. Field Ornithol. 56:224-235.
66. Conover, M.R. 1984. Frequency, spatial distribution and nest attendants of supernormal clutches in Ring-billed and California Gulls. Condor 86:467-471.
67. Craig, G. 1986. Peregrine Falcon. In R.L. Di Silvestro (ed.), Audubon Wildlife Report 1986, National Audubon Soc., N.Y., pp. 807-824.
68. Cramp, S. (ed.). 1985. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa: The Birds of the Western Palearctic, vol. 4. Terns to Woodpeckers. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
69. Cramp, S., and K.E.L. Simmons (eds.). 1977. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa: The Birds of the Western Palearctic, vol. 1. Ostrich to Ducks. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
70. Cramp, S., and K.E.L. Simmons (eds.). 1980. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa: The Birds of the Western Palearctic, vol. 2. Hawks to Bustards. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
71. Cramp, S., and K.E.L. Simmons (eds.). 1983. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa: The Birds of the Western Palearctic, vol. 3. Waders to Gulls. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
72. Craven, S.R. 1984. Fall food habits of Canada Geese in Wisconsin. J. Wildl. Manage. 48:169- 173.
73. Crockett, A.B., Jr., and P.L. Hansley. 1977. Coition, nesting, and post-fledging behavior in Williamson's Sapsucker in Colorado. Living Bird 16:7-19.
74. Custer, T.W., G.L. Hensler, and T.E. Kaiser. 1983. Clutch size, reproductive success, and organochlorine contaminants in Atlantic Coast Black-crowned NightHerons. Auk 100:699- 710.
75. Cuthbert, Ej. 1985a. Mate retention in Caspian Terns. Condor 87:74-78.
76. Cuthbert, F.J. 1985b. Intraseasonal movement between colony sites by Caspian Terns. Wilson Bull. 97:502 - 510.
77. Dane, B., and W. Van Der Kloot. 1964. An analysis of the display of the Goldeneye Duck (Bucephala clangula). Behaviour 22:282-328.
78. Darley, J.A. 1982. Territoriality and mating behavior of the male Brown-headed Cowbird. Condor 84:15-21.
79. Davis, J., G.F. Fisler, and B.S. Davis. 1963. The breeding biology of the Western Flycatcher. Condor 65:337-382.
80. Davis, T.A., M.F. Platter-Reiger, and R.A. Ackerman. 1984. Incubation water loss by Pied- billed Grebe eggs: adaptation to a hot, wet nest. Physiol. Zool. 57:384-391.
81. Davis, C.M. 1978. A nesting study of the Brown Creeper. Living Bird 17:237-263.
82. Davis, W.J. 1982. Territory size in Megaceryle alcyon along a stream habitat. Auk 99:353 - 362.
83. Davis, W.J. 1986. Acoustic recognition in the Belted Kingfisher: cardiac response to playback vocalizations. Condor 88:505-512.
84. DellaSala, D.A. 1986. Polygyny in the Yellow Warbler. Wilson Bull. 98:152-154.
85. Dilger, WC. 1956a. Adaptive modifications and ecological isolating mechanisms in the thrush genera Catharus and Hylocichla. Wilson Bull. 68:171-199.
86. Dilger, W.C. 1956b. Hostile behavior and reproductive isolating mechanisms in the avian genera Catharus and Hylocichla. Auk 73:313 - 353.
87. Dobkin, D.S., J.A. Holmes, and B.A. Wilcox. 1986. Traditional nest-site use by White- throated Swifts. Condor 88:252-253.
88. Dobkin, D.S., and B.A. Wilcox. 1986. Analysis of natural forest fragments: riparian birds in the Toiyabe Mountains, Nevada. In J. Verner, M.L. Morrison, and C.J. Ralph (eds.), Wildlife 2000: Modeling Habitat Relationships of Terrestrial Vertebrates. Univ. Wisconsin Press, Madison, pp. 293 - 299.
89. Drobney, R.D., and L.H. Fredrickson. 1979. Food selection by Wood Ducks in relation to breeding status. J. Wildl. Manage. 43:109-120.
90. Dunn, E.H. 1976. Development of endothermy and existence energy expenditure of nestling Double-crested Cormorants. Condor 78:350-356.
91. Eadie, J. McA., and G. Gauthier. 1985. Prospecting for nest sites by cavity-nesting ducks of the genus Bucephala. Condor 87:528-534.
92. Earhart C.M., and N.K. Johnson. 1970. Size dimorphism and food habits of North American owls. Condor 72:251-264.
93. Ehrlich, P.R., and J.F McLaughlin. 1988. Scrub Jay predation on starlings: attack and interspecific defense. Condor In Press.
94. Eisenmann, E. 1971. Range expansion and population increase in North and Middle America of the White-tailed Kite (Elanus leucurus). Amer. Birds 25:529-536.
95. Eiserer, L.A. 1976. The American Robin: A Backyard Institution. Nelson Hall Co., Chicago.
96. Eltzroth, E.K., and S.R. Robinson. 1984. Violet-green Swallows help Western Bluebirds at the nest. J. Field Ornithol. 55:259-261.
97. Emlen, S.T. 1975. The stellar-orientation system of a migratory bird. Sci. Amer. 233:102- 111.
98. Enderson, J.H. 1964. A study of the Prairie Falcon in the central Rocky Mountain region. Auk 81:332-352.
99. Erskine, A.J. 1972a. Buffleheads. Can. Wildl. Serv. Monogr. Set. No. 4.
100. Erskine, A.J. 1984. Swallows foraging on the ground. Wilson Bull. 96:136-137.
101. Ervin, S. 1977. Flock size, composition, and behavior in a population of Bushtits. Bird- Banding 48:97-109.
102. Erwin, R.M. 1983. Feeding habitats of nesting wading birds: spatial use and social influences. Auk 100:960-970.
103. Ettinger, A.O., and J.R. King. 1980. Time and energy budgets of the Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax trailhi) during the breeding season. Auk 97:533 - 546.
104. Ewald, P.W., and G.H. Orians. 1983. Effects of resource depression on use of inexpensive and escalated aggressive behavior: experimental tests using Anna Hummingbirds. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 12:95 -101.
105. Ewald, P.W., and S. Rohwer. 1982. Effects of supplemental feeding on timing of breeding, clutch size, and polygamy in Red-winged Blackbirds. J. Anim. Ecol. 51:429-450.
106. Ewert, D.N. 1980. Recognition of conspecific song by the Rufous-sided Towhee. Anim. Behav. 28:379-386.
107. Falls, J.B., and J.R. Krebs. 1975. Sequence of songs in repertoires of Western Meadowlarks (Sturnella neglecta). Can. J. Zool. 53:1165-1178.
108. Feare, C. 1984. The Starling. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
109. Fears, 0.1 1975. Observations on the aerial drinking performance of a Poorwill. Wilson Bull. 87:284.
110. Ferguson, R.S., and S.G. Sealy. 1983. Breeding ecology of the Horned Grebe, Podiceps auritus, in s w Manitoba. Can. Field-Nat. 97:401-408.
111. Finlay, J.C. 1976. Some effects of weather on Purple Martin activity. Auk 93:231-244.
112. Fleischer, R.C., W.I. Boarman, and M.L. Cody. 1985. Asynchrony of song series in the Bewick's Wren and Wrentit. Anim. Behav. 33:674-676.
113. Flood, N.J. 1984. Adaptive significance of delayed plumage maturation in male Northern Orioles. Evolution 38:267-279.
114. Foster, M.S. 1969. Synchronized fife cycles in the Orange-crowned Warbler and its mallophagan parasites. Ecology 50:315-323.
115. Frakes, R.A., and R.E. Johnson. 1982. Niche convergence in Empidonax flycatchers. Condor 84:286-29 1.
116. Franzreb, K.E. 1985. Foraging ecology of Brown Creepers in a mixed-coniferous forest. J. Field Ornithol. 56:9-16.
117. Fraser, J.D., and D.R. Luukkonen. 1986. The Loggerhead Shrike. In R.L. Di Silvestro (ed.), Audubon Wildlife Report 1986, National Audubon Soc., NY, pp. 933-941.
118. Friedmann, H., and L.F. Kiff. 1985. The parasitic cowbirds and their hosts. Proc. Western Foundation Vert. Zool. 2:226-304.
119. Furrer, R.K. 1975. Breeding success and nest site stereotypy in a population of Brewer's Blackbirds (Euphagus cyanocephalus). Oecologia 20:339-350.
120. Galati, B., and C.B. Galati. 1985. Breeding of the Golden-crowned Kinglet in northern Minnesota. J. Field Ornithol. 56:28-40.
121. Gass, C.L. 1979. Territory regulation, tenure and migration in Rufous Hummingbirds. Can J. Zool. 57:914-923.
122. Gauthier, G. 1987. Further evidence of long-term pair bonds in ducks of the genus Bucephala. Auk 104:521-522.
123. Gibbs, J.P., S. Woodward, M.L. Hunter, and A.E. Hutchinson. 1987. Determinants of Great Blue Heron colony distribution in coastal Maine. Auk 104:38-47.
124. Gibson, F. 1971. The breeding biology of the American Avocet (Recurvirostra americana) in central Oregon. Condor 73:444-454.
125. Gibson, F. 1978. Ecological aspects of the time budget of the American Avocet. Amer. Midl. Nat. 99:65-82.
126. Gill, R.E., Jr., and L.R. Mewaldt. 1983. Pacific coast Caspian Terns: dynamics of an expanding population. Auk 100:369-381.
127. Giraldeau, L.-A., and L. Lefebvre. 1985. Individual feeding preferences in feral groups of Rock Doves. Can. J. Zool. 63:189-191.
128. Godfrey, WE. 1986. The Birds of Canada. Revised Edition. Natl. Museum, Canada, Ottawa.
129. Gooders, J., and T. Boyer. 1986. Ducks of North America and the Northern Hemisphere. Facts on File, New York.
130. Goodwin, D. 1976. Crows of the World. Cornell Univ. Press, Ithaca, NY.
131. Gorenzel, W.P., R.A. Ryder, and C.E. Braun. 1982. Reproduction and nest site characteristics of American Coots at different altitudes in Colorado. Condor 84:59-65.
132. Grant, G.S. 1982. Avian Incubation: Egg Temperature, Nest Humidity, and Behavioral Thermoregulation in a Hot Environment. Ornithol. Monogr. No. 30.
133. Greenlaw, J.S. 1978. The relation of breeding schedule and clutch size to food supply in the Rufous-sided Towhee. Condor 80:24-33.
134. Grinnell, J., and A.H. Miller. 1986. The Distribution of the Birds of California. Pacific Coast Avifauna No. 27, publ. 1944, reprinted by Artemisia Press, Lee Vining, CA.
135. Grudzien, TA., WS. Moore, J.R. Cook, and D. Tagle. 1987. Genic population structure and gene flow in the Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) hybrid zone. Auk 104:654-664.
136. Guti6rrez, R.J. 1979-80. Comparative ecology of the Mountain and California Quail in the Carmel Valley, CA. Living Bird 18:71-93.
137. Gutierrez, R.J., C.E. Braun, and T.P. Zapatka. 1975. Reproductive biology of the Band-tailed Pigeon in Colorado and New Mexico. Auk 92:665-677.
138. Guti6rrez, R.J., R.M. Zink, and SX Yang. 1983. Genic variation, systematic, and biogeographic relationships of some galliform birds. Auk 100: 33 -47.
139. Hamerstrom, F., F.N. Hamerstrom, and C.J. Burke. 1985. Effect of voles on mating systems in a central Wisconsin population of Harriers. Wilson Bull. 97:332-346.
140. Hamilton, W.J., III, and M.E. Hamilton. 1965. Breeding characteristics of Yellow-billed Cuckoos in Arizona. Proc. Calif. Acad. Sci. (4th ser.) 32:405-432.
141. Hamilton, R.B. 1975. Comparative Behavior of the American Avocet and Black-necked Stilt (Recurvirostridae). Ornithol. Monogr. No. 17.
142. Hancock, J., and J. Kushlan. 1984. The Herons Handbook. Harper and Row, New York.
143. Harlow, R.F., R.G. Hooper, D.R. Chamberlain, and H.S. Crawford. 1975. Some winter and nesting season foods of the Common Raven in Virginia. Auk 92:298-306.
144. Harrison, H. 1984. Wood warblers' world. Simon and Schuster, New York.
145. Hegner, R.E., and J.C. Wingfield. 1986. Gonadal development during autumn and winter in House Sparrows. Condor 88:269-278.
146. Hegner, R.E., and J.C. Wingfield. 1987. Effects of brood-size manipulations on parental investment, breeding success, and reproductive endocrinology of House Sparrows. Auk 104:470-480.
147. Henny, C.J., F.C. Schmid, E.M. Martin, and L.L. Hood. 1973. Territorial behavior, pesticides, and the population ecology of Red-shouldered Hawks in central Maryland 1943-1971. Ecology 54:545-554.
148. Henny, C.J., F.C. Schmid, E.M. Martin, and L.L. Hood. 1973. Territorial behavior, pesticides, and the population ecology of Red-shouldered Hawks in central Maryland 1943-1971. Ecology 54:545-554.
149. Hepp, G.R. 1985. Effects of environmental parameters on the foraging behavior of three species of wintering dabbling ducks (Anatini). Can. J. Zool. 63:289-294.
150. Hertz, P.E., J.V. Remsen, and S. I. Zones. 1976. Ecological complementarity of three sympatric parids in a California oak woodland. Condor 78:307-316.
151. Hill, WL. 1986. Clutch overlap in American Coots. Condor 88:96-97.
152. Hines, J.E., and G.J. Mitchell. 1983. Breeding ecology of the Gadwall at Waterhen Marsh, Saskatchewan. Can. J. Zool. 61:1532-1539.
153. Hines, J.E., and G.J. Mitchell. 1984. Parasitic laying in nests of Gadwalls. Can. J. Zool. 62:627-630.
154. Hohman, W.L. 1985. Feeding ecology of Ring-necked Ducks in northwestern Minnesota. J. Wildl. Manage. 49:546-557.
155. Hohman, W.L. 1986. Incubation rhythms of Ring-necked Ducks. Condor 88:290-296.
156. Horn, H.S. 1968. The adaptive significance of colonial nesting in the Brewer's Blackbird (Euphagus cyanocephalus). Ecology 49:682-694.
157. Howes-Jones, D. 1985. Relationships among song activity, context, and social behavior in the Warbling Vireo. Wilson Bull. 97:4-20.
158. Hurley, R.J., and E.C. Franks. 1976. Changes in the breeding ranges of two grassland birds. Auk 92:108-115.
159. Hussell, D.J.T, and T.E. Quinney. 1987. Food abundance and clutch size of Tree Swallows Tachycineta bicolor. This 129:243-258.
160. Hutto, R.L. 1981. Seasonal variation in the foraging behavior of some migratory western wood warblers. Auk 98:765-777.
161. James, P.C., and L.W. Oliphant. 1986. Extra birds and helpers at the nests of Richardson's Merlin. Condor 88:533-534.
162. James, R.D. 1978. Pairing and nest site selection in Solitary and Yellow-throated Vireos with a description of a ritualized nest building display. Can. J. Zool. 56:1163-1169.
163. Janes, S.W. 1984a. Influences of territory composition and interspecific competition on Red-tailed Hawk reproductive success. Ecology 65:862-870.
164. Janes, S.W. 1984b. Fidelity to breeding territory in a population of Red-tailed Hawks. Condor 86:200-203.
165. Jenkins, M.A. 1978. Gyrfalcon nesting behavior from hatching to fledging. Auk 95:122-127.
166. Johnsgard, P.A. 1981. The Plovers, Sandpipers, and Snipes of the World. Univ. Nebraska Press, Lincoln.
167. Johnsgard, P.A. 1983. The Hummingbirds of North America. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC.
168. Johnson, N.K. 1976. Breeding distribution of Nashville and Virginia's Warblers. Auk 93:219-230.
169. Johnson, N.K. 1980. Character variation and evolution of sibling species in the Empidonax difficilis-flavescens complex (Aves: Tyrarmidae). Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 112:1-151.
170. Johnston, R.F., and R.K. Selander. 1964. House Sparrows: rapid evolution of races in North America. Science 141:548-550.
171. Joyner, D.E. 1977. Behavior of Ruddy Duck broods in Utah. Auk 94:343 - 349.
172. Joyner, D.E. 1983. Parasitic egg laying in Redheads and Ruddy Ducks in Utah: incidence and success. Auk 100:717-725.
173. Kale, H.W., Il (ed.). 1978. Rare and Endangered Biota of Florida, vol. 2, Birds. Univ. Presses of Florida, Gainesville.
174. Kennedy, P.L., and D.R. Johnson. 1986. Prey-size selection in nesting male and female Cooper's Hawks. Wilson Bull. 98:110-115.
175. Kerlinger, P., and P.H. Lehrer. 1982. Owl recognition and antipredator behaviour of Sharp-shinned Hawks. Zeit. Tierpsychol. 58:163-173.
176. Kessel, B. 1957. A study of the breeding biology of the European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) in North America. Amer. Midl. Nat. 58:257-331.
177. Ketterson, E.D., and V. Nolan, Jr. 1983. The evolution of differential bird migration. Current Ornithology 1:357-402.
178. Kilham, L. 1972. Reproductive behavior of White-breasted Nuthatches. 11. Courtship. Auk 89:115-129.
179. Kilham, L. 1973. Reproductive behavior of the Red-breasted Nuthatch. L Courtship. Auk 90:597-609.
180. Kilham, L. 1984. Cooperative breeding of American Crows. J. Field Ornithol. 55:349-356.
181. King, J.R., and J.D. Hubbard. 1981. Comparative patterns of nestling growth in White-crowned Sparrows. Condor 83:362-369.
182. Knapton, R.W., RX Cartar, and J.B. Falls. 1984. A comparison of breeding ecology and reproductive success between morphs of the White-throated Sparrow. Wilson Bull. 96:60-71.
183. Knupp, D.M., R.B. Owen, Jr., and J.B. Dimond. 1977. Reproductive biology of American Robins in northern Maine. Auk 94:80-85.
184. Kodric-Brown, A., and J.H. Brown. 1978. Influence of economics, interspecific competition, and sexual dimorphism on territoriality of migrant Rufous Hummingbirds. Ecology 59:285-296.
185. Koenig, W.D., and R.L. Mumme. 1987. Population Ecology of the Cooperatively Breeding Acorn Woodpecker. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
186. Koenig, W.D. 1984. Geographic variation in clutch size in the Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus): support for Ashmole's hypothesis. Auk 101:698-706.
187. Kricher, J.C. 1983. Correlation between House Finch increase and House Sparrow decline. Amer. Birds 37:358-360.
188. Kroodsma, R.L. 1974. Species-recognition behavior of territorial male Rose-breasted and Black-headed Grosbeaks (Pheucticus). Auk 91:54- 64.
189. Kroodsma, D.E. 1980. Winier Wren singing behavior: a pinnacle of song complexity. Condor 82:357-365.
190. Kroodsma, D.E. 1982. Learning and the ontogeny of sound signals in birds. In D.E. Kroodsma and E.H. Miller (eds.), Acoustic Communication in Birds, vol. 2. Academic Press, New York, pp. 1-23.
191. Kroodsma, D.E. 1984. Songs of the Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum) and Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax trailhi) are innate. Auk 10 1: 13-24.
192. Kroodsma, D.E. 1985b. Geographic variation in songs of the Bewick's Wren: a search for correlations with avifaunal complexity. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 16:143-150.
193. Lanyon, WE. 1957. The Comparative Biology of the Meadowlarks (Sturnella) in Wisconsin. Publ. Nuttall Ornithol. Club No. 1.
194. Lanyon, WE. 1961. Specific limits and distribution of the Ash-throated and Nutting Flycatchers. Condor 63:421-449.
195. Laskey, A.R. 1962. Breeding biology of Mockingbirds. Auk 79:596-606.
196. Laurenzi, AW., B.W. Anderson, and R.D. Ohmart. 1982. Wintering biology of Ruby-crowned Kinglets in the lower Colorado River Valley. Condor 84:385-398.
197. Lawrence, L. de K. 1967. A Comparative Life-history Study of Four Species of Woodpeckers. Ornithol. Monogr. No. 5.
198. Leck, C.F., and F.L. Cantor. 1979. Seasonality, clutch size, and hatching success in the Cedar Waxwing. Auk 96:196-198.
199. Leck, C.F. 1987. Update on House Finch range. Records of NJ Birds 13:18-19.
200. Lefebvre, L., 1985. Stability of flock composition in urban pigeons. Auk 102:886-888.
201. Leffelaar, D., and R.J. Robertson. 1986. Equality of feeding roles and the maintenance of monogamy in Tree Swallows. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 18:199-206.
202. Lenington, S., and I Mace. 1975. Mate fidelity and nesting site tenacity in the Killdeer. Auk 92:149-151.
203. Leopold, A.S., and M.F. Dedon. 1983. Resident Mourning Doves in Berkeley, California. J. Wildl. Manage. 47:780-789.
204. Leopold, A.S., R.J. Gutierrez, and M.T. Bronson. 1981. North American Game Birds and Mammals. Charles Scribner's Sons, New York.
205. Leopold, A.S. 1977. The California Quail. Univ. California Press, Berkeley.
206. Levenson, H. 1979. Time and activity budget of Ospreys nesting in northern California. Condor 81:364-369.
207. Logan, C.A. 1983. Reproductively dependent song cyclicity in mated male Mockingbirds (Mimuspolyglottos). Auk 100:404-413.
208. Lombardo, M.P. 1987. Attendants at Tree Swallow nests. II. The exploratory-dispersal hypothesis. Condor 89:138-149.
209. Lunk, W.A. 1962. The Rough-winged Swallow, Stelgidopteryx senipennis: A Study Based on Its Breeding Biology in Michigan. Nuttall Ornith. Club Publ. No. 4, Cambridge, MA.
210. MacKenzie, D.I., and S.G. Sealy. 1981. Nest site selection in Eastern and Western Kingbirds: a multivariate approach. Condor 83:310- 321.
211. Mader, W.J. 1978. A comparative nesting study of Red-tailed Hawks and Harris' Hawks in southern Arizona. Auk 95:327-337.
212. Marks, J.S., and V.A. Marks. 1981. Comparative food habits of the Screech Owls and Long-eared Owl in southwestern Idaho. Murrelet 62:80- 82.
213. Marler, P. 1984. Song learning: innate species differences in the learning process. In P. Marler and H.S. Terrace (eds.), The Biology of Learning. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 289-309 (Dahlem Konferenzen).
214. Marti, C.D., and C.E. Braun. 1975. Use of tundra habitats by Prairie Falcons in Colorado. Condor 77:213-214.
215. Marti, C.D., and J.G. Hogue. 1979. Selection of prey by size in Screech Owls. Auk 96:319-327.
216. Marti, C.D., and P.W. Wagner. 1985. Winter mortality in Common Barn-Owls and its effect on population density and reproduction. Condor 87:111-115.
217. Marti, C.D. 1974. Feeding ecology of four sympatric owls. Condor 76:45-61.
218. Martin, T.E., and J.J. Roper. 1988. Nest predation and nest-site selection of a western population of the Hermit Thrush. Condor 90:51-57.
219. Martin, D.J. 1973. Selected aspects of Burrowing Owl ecology and behavior. Condor 75:446-456.
220. Martin, S.G. 1970. The agonistic behavior of Varied Thrushes (Ixoreus naevius) in winter assemblages. Condor 72:452-459.
221. Martin, D.J. 1979. Songs of the Fox Sparrow II Intra- and interpopulation variation. Condor 81:173-184.
222. Martindale, S. 1980. A numerical approach to the analysis of Solitary Vireo songs. Condor 82:199-211.
223. McGilvrey, F.B. 1966. Nesting of Hooded Mergansers on the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, Maryland. Auk 83:477-479.
224. McNair, D.B. 1984a. Reuse of other species nests by Lark Sparrows. Southwest. Nat. 29:506-509.
225. McNeil, R., and C. Leger. 1987. Nest-site quality and reproductive success of early and late-nesting Double-crested Cormorants. Wilson Bull. 99:262-267.
226. McNicholl, M.K. 1982. Factors affecting reproductive success of Forster's Terns at Delta Marsh, Manitoba. Colonial Waterbirds 5:32-38.
227. Middleton, A.L.A. 1978. The annual cycle of the American Goldfinch. Condor 80:401-406.
228. Middleton, A.L.A. 1979. Influence of age and habitat on reproduction by the American Goldfinch. Ecology 60:418-432.
229. Miller, J.H., and M.T. Green. 1987. Distribution, status, and origin of Water Pipits breeding in California. Condor 89:788-797.
230. Miller, E.H., W.W.H. Gunn, J.P. Myers, and B.N. Veprintsev. 1984. Species-distinctiveness of Long-billed Dowitcher song (Aves: Scolopacidae). Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 97:804- 811.
231. Miller, E.H. 1983a. Structure of display flights in the Least Sandpiper. Condor 85:220-242.
232. Mills, G.S. 1976. American Kestrel sex ratios and habitat separation. Auk 93:740-748.
233. Mock, D.W. 1978. Pair-formation displays of the Great Egret. Condor 80:159-172.
234. Morris, R.D., and G.T. Haynes. 1977. The breeding biology of two Lake Erie Herring Gull colonies. Can. J. Zool. 55:796-805.
235. Morrison, M.L., and K.A. With. 1987. Interseasonal and intersexual resource partitioning in Hairy and White-headed Woodpeckers. Auk 104:225-233.
236. Morrison, M.L. 1980. Seasonal aspects of the predatory behavior of Loggerhead Shrikes. Condor 82:296-300.
237. Morrison, M.L. 1982. The structure of western warbler assemblages: ecomorphological analysis of the Black-throated Gray and Hermit Warblers. Auk 99:503 - 513.
238. Morrison, M.L. 1983. Analysis of geographic variation in the Townsend's Warbler. Condor 85:385-391.
239. Morse, D.H. 1980. Foraging and coexistence of spruce-woods warblers. Living Bird 18:7-25.
240. Morton, E.S., and R.M. Patterson. 1983. Kin association, spacing, and composition of a post-breeding roost of Purple Martins. J. Field Ornithol. 54:36-41.
241. Morton, M.L., J.L. Horstmann, and J.M. Osborn. 1972. Reproductive cycle and nesting success of the Mountain White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys oriantha) in the central Sierra Nevada. Condor 74:152-163.
242. Mountjoy, D.J., and R.J. Robertson. 1988. Why are waxwings "waxy"? Delayed plumage maturation in the Cedar Waxwing. Auk 105:61-69.
243. Mueller, H.C. 1977. Prey selection in the American Kestrel: experiments with two species of prey. Amer. Nat. 111:25 -29.
244. Murphy, E.C. 1978. Breeding ecology of House Sparrows: spatial variation. Condor 80:180-193.
245. Myers, J.P., and L.P. Myers. 1979. Shorebirds of coastal Buenos Aires Province, Argentina. Ibis 121:186-200.
246. Nelson, R.W. 1968. Nest robbing by Cooper's Hawks. Auk 85:696-697.
247. Newton, I., E.R. Meek, and B. Little. 1984. Breeding season foods of Merlins Falco columbarius in Northumbria. Bird Study 31:49-56.
248. Nolan, V., Jr., and C.F. Thompson. 1975. The occurrence and significance of anomalous reproductive activities in two North American non- parasitic cuckoos Coccyzus spp. This 117:496-503.
249. Noon, B.R. 1981. The distribution of an avian guild along a temperate elevational gradient: the importance and expression of competition. Ecol. Monogr. 51:105-124.
250. Norris, R.A. 1958. Comparative biosysternatics and life history of the nuthatches Sitta pygmaea and Sitta pusilla. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 56:119-300.
251. Noyes, J.H., and R.L. Jarvis. 1985. Diet and nutrition of breeding female Redhead and Canvasback ducks in Nevada. J. Wildl. Manage. 49:203 - 211.
252. Nuechterlein, G.L. 1981a. Variations and multiple functions of the advertising display of Western Grebes. Behaviour 76:289-317.
253. Nuechterlein, G.L. 1985. Experiments on the functions of the bare crown patch of downy Western Grebe chicks. Can. J. Zool. 63:464-467.
254. Ogden, J.C. 1985b. The California Condor. In R.L. Di Silvestro (ed.), Audubon Wildlife Report 1985, National Audubon Soc., NY, pp. 389- 399.
255. Orians, G.H., and G.M. Christman. 1968. A comparative study of the behavior of Red-winged, Tricolored, and Yellow-headed Blackbirds. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 84:1-81.
256. Orians, G.H. 1980. Some Adaptations of Marsh-nesting Blackbirds. Monogr. Pop. Biol. No. 14, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton.
257. Orians, G.H. 1985. Blackbirds of the Americas. Univ. Washington Press, Seattle.
258. Oring, L.W., D.B. Lank, and S.J. Maxson. 1983. Population studies of the polyandrous Spotted Sandpiper. Auk 100:272-285.
259. Paszkowski, C.A. 1982. Vegetation, ground, and frugivorous foraging of the American Robin. Auk 99:701-709.
260. Paton, D.C., and F.L. Carpenter. 1984. Peripheral foraging by territorial Rufous Hummingbirds: defense by exploitation. Ecology 65:1808-1819.
261. Payne, R.B. 1969. Breeding seasons and reproductive physiology of Tricolored and Redwinged Blackbirds. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 90:1-115.
262. Pearson, O.P. 1979. Spacing and orientation among feeding Golden-crowned Sparrows. Condor 81:278-285.
263. Petrie, M. 1986. Reproductive strategies of male and female Moorhens (Gallinula chloropus). In D.I. Rubenstein and R.W, Wrangharn (eds.), Ecological Aspects of Social Evolution. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, pp. 43-63.
264. Petrinovich, L., and TL. Patterson. 1983. The White-crowned Sparrow: reproductive success (1975-1980). Auk 100:811-825.
265. Phillips, A., J. Marshall, and G. Monson. 1964. The Birds of Arizona. Univ. Arizona Press, Tucson.
266. Phillips, R.E. 1972. Sexual and agonistic behaviour in the Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus). Anim. Behav. 20:1-9.
267. Phillips, A.R. 1975. The migrations of Allen's and other hummingbirds. Condor 77:196-205.
268. Platt, J.B. 1976. Sharp-shinned Hawk nesting and nest site selection in Utah. Condor 78:102-103.
269. Pleasants, B.Y. 1979. Adaptive significance of the variable dispersion pattern of breeding Northern Orioles. Condor 81:28-34.
270. Poole, A. 1985. Courtship feeding and Osprey reproduction. Auk 102:479-492.
271. Popp, JW, 1987. Agonistic communication among wintering Purple Finches. Wilson Bull. 99:97-100.
272. Potter, E.F. 1980. Notes on nesting Yellow-billed Cuckoos. J. Field Ornithol. 51:16-29.
273. Powers, D.R. 1987. Effects of variation in food quality on the breeding territoriality of the male Anna's Hummingbird. Condor 89:103-I11.
274. Pratt, H.M., and D.W. Winkler. 1985. Clutch size, timing of laying, and reproductive success in a colony of Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets. Auk 102:49-63.
275. Prevett, J.P., I.F. Marshall, and V.G. Thomas. 1985. Spring foods of Snow and Canada Geese at James Bay. J. Wildl. Manage. 49:558- 563.
276. Pugekse, B.H. 1983. The relationship between parental age and reproductive effort in the California Gull (Larus californicus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 13:161-171.
277. Quinney, TE. 1986. Male and female parental care in Tree Swallows. Wilson Bull. 98:147-150.
278. Ratcliffe, D. 1980. The Peregrine Falcon. Buteo Books, Vermillion, SD.
279. Raye, S.S.C., and J. Burger. 1979. Behavioral determinants of nestling success of Snowy Egrets (Leucophoyx ihula). Amer. Midl. Nat. 102:76-85.
280. Reese, J.G. 1977. Reproductive success of Ospreys in central Chesapeake Bay. Auk 94:202-221.
281. Reynolds, R.T., and E.C. Meslow. 1984. Partitioning of food and niche characteristics of coexisting Accipiter during breeding. Auk 10 1: 761-779.
282. Rice, W.R. 1982. Acoustical location of prey by the Marsh Hawk: adaptation to concealed prey. Auk 99:403-413.
283. Rich, 1 1986. Habitat and nest site selection by Burrowing Owls in the sagebrush steppe of Idaho. J. Wildl. Manage. 50:548-555.
284. Richards, D.G. 1981b. Alerting and message components in songs of Rufous-sided Towhees. Behaviour 76:223-249.
285. Ricklefs, R.E. 1972. Latitudinal variation in breeding productivity of the Rough-winged Swallow. Auk 89:826-836.
286. Ritchison, G. 1983. The function of singing in female Black-headed Grosbeaks (Pheucticus melanocephalus): family-group maintenance. Auk 100: 105-116.
287. Ritchison, G. 1985. Variation in the songs of female Black-headed Grosbeaks. Wilson Bull. 97:47-56.
288. Robbins, C.S. 1973. Introduction, spread, and present abundance of the House Sparrow in North America. Ornithol. Monogr. 14:3-9.
289. Rohwer, S.A., and F.C. Rohwer. 1978. Status signalling in Harris' Sparrows: experimental deceptions achieved. Anim. Behav. 26:1012-1022.
290. Rohwer, S.A. 1973. Significance of sympatry to behavior and evolution of Great Plains meadowlarks. Evolution 27:44-57.
291. Root, R.B. 1967. The niche exploitation pattern of the Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. Ecol. Monogr. 37:317-350.
292. Rothstein, S.I. 1976a. Cowbird parasitism of the Cedar Waxwing and its evolutionary implications. Auk 93:498- 509.
293. Rothstein, S.I. 1976b. Experiments on defenses Cedar Waxwings use against cowbird parasitism. Auk 93:675-691.
294. Ryan, M.R., and J.J. Dinsmore. 1979. A quantitative study of the behavior of breeding American Coots. Auk 96:704-713.
295. Ryan, M.R., and J.J. Dinsmore. 1980. The behavioral ecology of breeding American Coots in relation to age. Condor 82:320-327.
296. Salomonson, M.G., and R.P. Balcla. 1977. Winter territoriality of Townsend's Solitaires (Alyadestes townsendi) in a Pinon-juniper-Ponderosa Pine ecotone. Condor 79:148-161.
297. Salt, G.W., and D.E. Willard. 197 1. The hunting behavior and success. of Forster's Tern. Ecology 52:989-998.
298. Savard, J-PL. 1982. Intra- and inter-specific competition between Barrow's Goldeneye (Bucephala islandica) and Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola). Can. J. Zool. 60:3439-3446.
299. Schneider, K.J. 1984. Dominance, predation, and optimal foraging in White-throated Sparrow flocks. Ecology 65:1820-1827.
300. Sealy, S.G. 1980. Reproductive responses of Northern Orioles to a changing food supply. Can. J. Zool. 58:221-227.
301. Semel, B., and P.W. Sherman. 1986. Dynamics of nest parasitism in Wood Ducks. Auk 103:813-816.
302. Seutin, G. 1987. Female song in Willow Flycatchers (Empidonax trailhi). Auk 104:329-330.
303. Short, L.L. 1982. Woodpeckers of the World. Delaware Museum Natural History, Greenville.
304. Shy, E. 1984b. Habitat shift and geographical variation in North American tanagers (Thraupinae: Piranga). Oecologia 63:281-285.
305. Sibley, C.G., and J.E. Ahlquist. 1984b. The relationships of the Wrentit as indicated by DNA-DNA hybridization. Condor 84:40-44.
306. Siegel-Causey, D., and G.L. Hunt, Jr. 1981. Colonial defense behavior in Double-crested and Pelagic Cormorants. Auk 98:522-531.
307. Siegfried, WR. 1976. Social organization in Ruddy and Maccoa Ducks. Auk 93:560-570.
308. Skagen, S.K. 1987. Hatching asynchrony in American Goldfinches: an experimental study. Ecology 68:1747-1759.
309. Skorupa, J.P., R.L. Hothem, and R.W. DeHaven. 1980. Foods of breeding Tricolored Blackbirds in agricultural areas of Merced County, California. Condor 82:465-467.
310. Smith, K.G., and D.C. Andersen. 1982. Food, predation, and reproductive ecology of the Dark-eyed junco in northern Utah. Auk 99:650-661.
311. Smith, J.N.M., and J.R. Merkt. 1980. Development and stability of single-parent family units in the Song Sparrow. Can. J. Zool. 58:1869-1875.
312. Smith, J.N.M., Y. Yorn-Tovand R. Moses. 1982. Polygyny, male parental care, and sex ratio in Song Sparrows: an experimental study. Auk 99:555-564.
313. Smith, S.M. 1973. An aggressive display and related behavior in the Loggerhead Shrike. Auk 90:287-298.
314. Snyder, N.FR., and J.A. Hamber. 1985. Replacement-clutching and annual nesting of California Condors. Condor 87:374-378.
315. Snyder, N.F.R., R.R. Ramey, and F.C. Sibley. 1986. Nest-site biology of the California Condor. Condor 88:228-241.
316. Snyder, WD. 1984. Ring-necked Pheasant nesting ecology and wheat farming on the high plains. J. Wildl. Manage. 48:878-888.
317. Southern, WE., S.R. Patton, L.K. Southern, and L.A. Hanners. 1985. Effects of nine years of fox predation on two species of breeding gulls. Auk 102:827-833.
318. Stacey, P.B., and C.E. Bock. 1978. Social plasticity in the Acorn Woodpecker. Science 202:1298-1300.
319. Stager, K.E. 1964. The role of olfaction in food location by the Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura). Los Angeles County Mus. Contrib. Sci. 81:1-63.
320. Steenhof, K., M.N. Kochert, and J.H. Doremus. 1983. Nesting of subadult Golden Eagles in southwestern Idaho. Auk 100:743-747.
321. Stevenson, H.M., E. Eisenmann, C. Winegarner, and A. Karlin. 1983. Notes on Common and Antillean Nighthawks of the Florida Keys. Auk 100:983-988.
322. Stewart, R.M., R.P. Henderson, and K. Darling. 1977. Breeding ecology of the Wilson's Warbler in the high Sierra Nevada, California. Living Bird 16:83-102.
323. Stiehl, R.B. 1985. Brood chronology of the Common Raven. Wilson Bull. 97:78-87.
324. Stiles, F.G. 1972. Food supply and the annual cycle of the Anna Hummingbird. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 97:1-109.
325. Stiles, F.G. 1982. Aggressive and courtship displays of the male Anna's Hummingbird. Condor 84:208-225.
326. Storer, R.W, and G.L. Nuechterlein. 1985. An analysis of plumage and morphological characters of the two color forms of the Western Grebe (Aechmophorus). Auk 102:102-119.
327. Storer, R.W. 1969. The behavior of the Horned Grebe in spring. Condor 71:180205.
328. Sugden, L.G. 1977. Horned Grebe breeding habitat in Saskatchewan Parklands. Can. Field-Nat. 91:372-376.
329. Swanson, G.A., M.I. Meyer, and V.A. Adomaitis. 1985. Foods consumed by breeding Mallards on wetlands of south-central North Dakota. J. Wildl. Manage. 49:197-203.
330. Sydeman, W.J., M. Giintert, and R.P. Balda. 1988. Annual reproductive yield in the cooperative Pygmy Nuthatch (Sitta pygmaea). Auk 105:70-77.
331. Taylor, D.M., and C.D. Littlefield. 1986. Willow Flycatcher and Yellow Warbler response to cattle grazing. Amer. Birds 40:1169-1173.
332. Teather, K.L., and R.J. Robertson. 1986. Pair bonds and factors influencing the diversity of mating systems in Brown-headed Cowbirds. Condor 88:63-69.
333. Temeles, E.J. 1986. Reversed sexual size dimorphism: effect on resource defense and foraging behaviors of nonbreeding Northern Harriers. Auk 103:70-78.
334. Temple, S.A. (ed.). 1978. Endangered Birds: Management Techniques for Preserving Threatened Species. Univ. Wisconsin Press, Madison.
335. Thompson, WL. 1976. Vocalizations of the Lazuli Bunting. Condor 78:195-207.
336. Thomsen, L. 1971. Behavior and ecology of Burrowing Owls on the Oakland Municipal Airport. Condor 73:177-192.
337. Threlfall, W, and J.R. Blacquiere. 1982. Breeding biology of the Fox Sparrow in Newfoundland. J. Field Ornithol. 53:235-239.
338. Toland, B.R. 1985. Double brooding by American Kestrels in central Missouri. Condor 87:434-436.
339. Tremblay, J., and L.N. Ellison. 1980. Breeding success of the Black-crowned Night Heron in the St. Lawrence Estuary. Can. J. Zool. 58:1259- 1263.
340. Turner, J.C., Jr., and L. McClanahan, Jr. 1981. Physiogenesis of endothermy and its relation to growth in the Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 68A: 167-173.
341. Tyrrell, E.Q., and R.A. Tyrrell. 1984. Hummingbirds: Their Life and Behavior. Crown, New York.
342. Van Daele, L.J., and H.A. Van Daele. 1982. Factors affecting the productivity of Ospreys nesting in west-central Idaho. Condor 84:292-299.
343. Verbeek, N.A.M. 1970. Breeding ecology of the Water Pipit. Auk 87:425-451.
344. Verbeek, N.A.M. 1975a. Northern wintering of flycatchers and residency of Black Phoebes in California. Auk 92:737-749.
345. Verbeek, N.A.M. 1975b. Comparative feeding behavior of three coexisting tyrannid flycatchers. Wilson Bull. 87:231-240.
346. Vermeer, K., and K. Devito. 1986. The nesting biology of Mew Gulls (Larus canus) on Kennedy Lake, British Columbia, Canada: comparison with Mew Gulls in northern Europe. Colonial Waterbirds 9:95-103.
347. Vermeer, K., and K. Devito. 1987. Habitat and nest-site selection of Mew and Glaucous-winged Gulls in coastal British Columbia. Studies in Avian Biol. 10:105-118.
348. Vermeer, K., and L. Rankin. 1984. Population trends in nesting Double-crested and Pelagic Cormorants in Canada. Murrelet 65:1-9.
349. Wagner, J.L. 1981. Seasonal change in guild structure: oak woodland insectivorous birds. Ecology 62:973-981.
350. Waite, T.A. 1987a. Vigilance in the White-breasted Nuthatch: effects of dominance and sociality. Auk 104:429-434.
351. Warner, J.S., and R.L. Rudd. 1975. Hunting by the White-tailed Kite (Elanus leucurus). Condor 77:226-230.
352. Weatherhead, P.J. 1979. Ecological correlates of monogamy in tundra-breeding Savannah Sparrows. Auk 96:391-401.
353. Westmoreland, D., L.B. Best, and D.E. Blockstein. 1986. Multiple brooding as a reproductive strategy: time-conserving adaptations in Mourning Doves. Auk 103:196-203.
354. Wheelwright, N.T. 1986. The diet of American Robins: an analysis of U.S. Biological Survey records. Auk 103:710-725.
355. Whiteside, R.W., and F.S. Guthery. 1983. Ring-necked Pheasant movements, home ranges, and habitat use in west Texas. J. Wildl. Manage. 47:1097-1104.
356. Wiens, J.A., J.T. Rotenberry, and B. Van Horne. 1986. A lesson in the limitations of field experiments: shrubsteppe birds and habitat alteration. Ecology 67:365-376.
357. Wiens, J.A. 1973. Interterritorial habitat variation in Grasshopper and Savannah Sparrows. Ecology 54:877-884.
358. Wilbur, S.R., and J.A. Jackson. 1983. Vulture Biology and Management. Univ. California Press, Berkeley.
359. Wiley, JW. 1975. The nesting and reproductive success of Red-tailed Hawks and Red-shouldered Hawks in Orange County, California, 1973. Condor 77:133-139.
360. Williams, J.B. 1987. Field metabolism and food consumption of Savannah Sparrows during the breeding season. Auk 104:277-289.
361. Winkler, D.W, and S.D. Cooper. 1986. Ecology of migrant Black-necked Grebes Podiceps nigricollis at Mono Lake, California. This 12 8:483-491.
362. Winkler, D.W. 1985. Factors determining a clutch size reduction in California Gulls (Larus califomicus): a multi-hypothesis approach. Evolution 39:667-677.
363. Withers, P.C. 1977. Energetic aspects of reproduction by the Cliff Swallow. Auk 94:718-725.
364. Woolfenden, G.E., and JW. Fitzpatrick. 1984. The Florida Scrub Jay. Monogr. Pop. Biol. No. 20. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, NJ.
365. Wooten, J.T. 1987. Interspecific competition between introduced House Finch populations and two associated passerine species. Oecologia 71:325-331.
366. Wunderle, J.M., Jr. 1978. Differential response of territorial Yellowthroats to the songs of neighbors and non-neighbors. Auk 95:389-395.
367. Yasukawa, K. 1979. Territory establishment in Red-winged Blackbirds: importance of aggressive behavior and experience. Condor 81:258-264.
368. Zink, R.M., D.F. Lott, and D.W. Anderson. 1987. Genetic variation, population structure, and evolution of California Quail. Condor 89:395-405.
369. Zink, R.M. 1986. Patterns and Evolutionary Significance of Geographic Variation in the schistacea Group of the Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca). Ornithol. Monogr. No. 40.
370. Zink, R.M. 1988. Evolution of Brown Towhees: allozymes, morphometrics and species limits. Condor 90:72-82.