From Undergraduate Engineering Handbook
m (Protected "Petitions" [edit=sysop:move=sysop])
Revision as of 11:51, 6 October 2010
Important Information About Program Deviation Petitions: Departmental and School of Engineering
Students have the option to petition for deviations from curricular requirements. Petitions must be approved prior to a student's last quarter. Petitions to alter graduation requirements will not be considered in the student's final quarter.
Be sure to have completely filled out the petition form and your program sheet prior to handing them in.
Departmental Petition Form: Petitions to deviate from departmental depth requirements are handled departmentally. As each department has its own procedures, students are advised to check with their major departmental Student Services Office for guidance.
School of Engineering Petition Form: Petitions to deviate from non-departmental School of Engineering requirements (Math, Science, Technology in Society, or Fundamentals) are reviewed by the Senior Associate Dean in the Office of Student Affairs.
When submitting a petition: Be sure to include the reasoning behind your request and to obtain the signature of your faculty advisor. Attach a completed Program Sheet and a current Stanford Transcript (an unofficial AXESS copy is fine) to the petition request. Return the completed package to the School of Engineering Office of Student Affairs, 135 Huang Engineering Center.
Completed packages have: Completed form with reasoning behind request and faculty signature, completed program sheet, and unofficial Stanford Transcript. Incomplete packages will not be processed.
GERs: Information regarding courses that have been certified to fulfill the General Education Requirements, and regarding a student's status in meeting these requirements, is available at the Student Services Center. Course planning and advising questions related to the General Education Requirements should be directed to Undergraduate Advising and Research.
Important Information About Transfer Credit Petitions: Departmental and School of Engineering
If you are planning to use courses taken at another institution to meet your Engineering requirements, the transfer credit must be approved by both the University (through the Registrar office online at http://www.stanford.edu/dept/registrar/ or in person at the Student Services Center in Tresidder Union, 2nd Floor) AND by the School of Engineering prior to your final quarter.
Be sure to have completely filled out the petition form and your program sheet prior to handing them in (your program sheet does not need signatures for a petition).
School of Engineering Petition Form: Transfer credit petitions involving Math, Science, Technology in Society, and/or Fundamentals courses require approval by the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs; turn in your petition in 135 Huang.
Departmental Petition Form: Transfer credit petitions involving Depth courses require approval by your Major Advisor or Departmental Advisor; you are advised to check with your major departmental Student Services office for guidance.
To have your transfer credit request processed and approved:
- Fill out the petition form
* Attach a completed Program Sheet, a copy of the course description (taken from the other institution's syllabus/course catalog), and your current Stanford transcript (AXESS copies are fine).
* Turn in completed documents to the School of Engineering Office of Student Affairs.
* Request at the Student Services Center in Tresidder Union, 2nd Floor, or via a HelpSU ticket, that a copy of your transcript from the other institution be forwarded to:
School of Engineering
Office of Student Affairs
Huang Engineering Center, Suite 135
Mail Code: 4027
To reiterate, a complete package will include:
- Completed petition form with reasoning behind your decision to take required coursework elsewhere
* Completed program sheets
* Course descriptions from other institutions
* Current unofficial Stanford Transcripts
* For pre-approval, check "pre-approval" box on the form
* If you already took the course, please include a brief explanation clarifying why you took it before obtaining approval
* Have your transcript from the other institution forwarded to the School of Engineering Office of Student Affairs.
If you have any questions or concerns about anything regarding these or any other requirements, feel free to drop by the Office of Student Affairs in the Terman Engineering Center.