From Undergraduate Engineering Handbook
Deviate/Waive Requirements or Transfer Credit for your Engineering Major
About Program Deviation Petitions: Departmental and School of Engineering
Students have the option to petition for deviations from curricular requirements. Petitions should be approved prior to a senior student's last quarter to avoid any delay in graduation if the petition is denied.
Be sure to have completely filled out the petition form and your program sheet prior to handing them in.
Departmental Deviation Petition Form: Petitions to deviate from departmental depth requirements are handled departmentally. As each department has its own procedures, students are advised to check with their major departmental Student Services Office for guidance.
School of Engineering Deviation Petition Form: Petitions to deviate from non-departmental School of Engineering requirements (Math, Science, Technology in Society* (see #4 below), or Fundamentals) are reviewed by the Senior Associate Dean in the Office of Student Affairs.
When submitting a petition:
- Be sure to include the reasoning behind your request and to obtain the signature of your faculty advisor.
- Attach a completed Program Sheet and a current Stanford Transcript (an unofficial AXESS copy is fine) to the petition request.
- Return the completed package to the School of Engineering Office of Student Affairs, 135 Huang Engineering Center.
- If you are petitioning for a Technology in Society course, there is an additional review required by Prof Robert McGinn, who oversees the TiS program. Please send him an email at <firstname.lastname@example.org> giving him the course description and syllabus of the proposed substitution course. Copy Darlene <email@example.com> on the email. You may start the petition document process with your department and OSA at the same time.
Completed packages have:
- Completed form with reasoning behind request and faculty signature
- Completed program sheet (it is not necessary to have your PS signed for a petition to be processed)
- Unofficial Stanford Transcript.
About Transfer Credit Petitions: Departmental and School of Engineering
If you are planning to use courses taken at another institution to meet your Engineering requirements, the transfer credit must be approved by both the University (through the Registrar office online at http://www.stanford.edu/dept/registrar/ or in person at the Student Services Center in Tresidder Union, 2nd Floor) AND by the School of Engineering prior to your final quarter.
Be sure to have completely filled out the petition form and your program sheet prior to handing them in (your program sheet does not need signatures for a petition).
- School of Engineering Transfer Petition Form: Transfer credit petitions involving Math, Science, Technology in Society(see #3 below), and/or Fundamentals courses require approval by the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs; turn in your petition in 135 Huang.
- Departmental Transfer Petition Form: Transfer credit petitions involving Depth courses require approval by your Major Advisor or Departmental Advisor; you are advised to check with your major departmental Student Services office for guidance.
To have your transfer credit request processed and approved:
- Fill out the petition form
- Attach a completed Program Sheet, a copy of the course description (taken from the other institution's syllabus/course catalog), and your current Stanford transcript (AXESS copies are fine).
- If you are petitioning for a Technology in Society transfer, you must also request a review of the proposed course from Prof Robert McGinn, who oversees the TiS program. Please send him an email at <firstname.lastname@example.org> giving him the description and syllabus of the proposed substitution course. Copy Darlene <email@example.com> on the email. You may start the petition process at the same time.
- Turn in completed documents to the School of Engineering Office of Student Affairs, 135 Huang Engineering Center.
- Request at the Student Services Center in Tresidder Union, 2nd Floor, or via a HelpSU ticket, that a copy of your transcript from the other institution be forwarded to:
School of Engineering
Office of Student Affairs
Huang Engineering Center, Suite 135
Mail Code: 4027
To reiterate, a complete package will include:
- Completed petition form
- Completed program sheets
- Course descriptions from other institutions
- Current unofficial Stanford Transcripts
- For pre-approval, check "pre-approval" box on the form
- Have your transcript from the other institution forwarded to the School of Engineering Office of Student Affairs
- Note: Incomplete packages will delay and complicate the petition process.
About Transfer Credit Pre-Approval
It is advisable for students planning to take courses outside of Stanford to file a Transfer petition in advance of enrolling for the course(s). This Pre-Approval process ensures that any course you take can be used at Stanford to fulfill program requirements. Just as in filing the usual Transfer Credit Petition (see directions above), it is best to get pre-approval at both the University and School of Engineering/Departmental level. Once you have received pre-approval, the only remaining step is to have your transfer transcript sent to SU showing completion of your course with a grade of C- or better. See above or the transfer petition form for complete instructions
GERs: Information regarding courses that have been certified to fulfill the General Education Requirements, and regarding a student's status in meeting these requirements, is available at the Student Services Center. Course planning and advising questions related to the General Education Requirements should be directed to Undergraduate Advising and Research.
If you have any questions or concerns about anything regarding these or any other requirements, feel free to drop by the Office of Student Affairs, 135 Huang Engineering Center.