Email: mav stanford edu
Administrative Assistant: Jim Fabry
- teams, teaming, coordination
- organizational learning and design
- future of work
Retelny, D., Valentine, M.A., Bernstein, M. S., No Workflow Can Ever Be Enough: How Crowdsourcing Workflows Constrain Complex Work. CSCW 2018: ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work
Valentine, M.A., 2017. Renegotiating Spheres of Obligation: The Role of Hierarchy in Organizational Learning. Administrative Science Quarterly.
- Related Interview on Bob’s podcast
Valentine, M.A., Retelny D., To A., Rahmati, N., Doshi, T., Bernstein, M.S., 2017. Flash organizations: Crowdsourcing Complex Work via Reconfigurable Organizational Structures. CHI 2017: SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Best Paper Award
- New York Times article on flash organizations
- Flash organizations presentation at Dean’s Circle
Valentine, M.A., Edmondson, A.C. 2015. Team Scaffolds: How Meso-level Structures Enable Role-based Coordination in Temporary Groups. Organization Science, 26(2): 405-422.
- Outstanding Paper with Practical Implications, OB Division, AOM Conference 2012
- Related Team Scaffolds video
- Discussed in Amy’s HBR article, Ethan’s HBR article, Ed’s book, Bob’s book
Valentine, M.A., Nembhard, I.M., Edmondson, A.C. 2015. Measuring Teamwork in Health Care Settings: A Review of Survey Instruments. Medical Care, 53(4):e16–e30
Retelny, D., Robaszkiewicz, R., To, A., Lasecki, W. S., Patel, J., Rahmati, N., Doshi, T., Valentine, M., & Bernstein, M. S. 2014. Expert Crowdsourcing with Flash Teams. Proceedings of the 27th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology: 75-85.
- Best Paper Award
- Related Flash Team videos
Honors & Awards
- Graduate Teaching Award, Management Science, Stanford University (2015)
- Hellman Faculty Scholar, Stanford University (2014)
- Winner, Dissertation Proposal Competition, INFORMS/Organization Science (2012)
- Outstanding Paper with Practical Implications, Academy of Management (2012)
- Wyss Award for Excellence in Doctoral Research, Harvard Business School (2013)
- Susan Cohen Award for Doctoral Research, Center for Effective Organizations (2010)
Working Papers (Drafts Available)
Valentine, M.A., 2017. When Equity Seems Unfair: The Role of Justice Enforceability in Temporary Team Coordination. Conditional Accept at Academy of Management Journal.
Valentine, M.A., Bernstein, M.S., Retelny, D.R. Flash Organizations: How Role Foraging Enables Coordinated Adaptation. Working Paper.
Valentine, M.A., Staats, B.R., Edmondson, A.C. 2016. The Rich Get Richer: Enabling Conditions of Knowledge Use in Organizational Work Teams. Working Paper.
- Transforming Cancer Care
- Crowdsourcing Complex Work
- Online Labor Markets: Fad, Fringe, or Future of Work? (with Hatim Rahman)
- South Bay Cancer Center: A Study of Organizational Design from Start to Finish
- MS&E 184. Future of Work: Issues in Organizational Learning and Design
- MS&E 284. Designing Modern Work Organizations
- MS&E 388. Contemporary Themes in Research on Work and Organizing
- MS&E 383. Ethnographic Research Methods