Email: mav stanford edu
Administrative Assistant: Jim Fabry
- teams, teaming, coordination
- organizational learning and design
- future of work
Valentine, M.A., 2017. Renegotiating Spheres of Obligation: The Role of Hierarchy in Organizational Learning. Administrative Science Quarterly. Published ahead of print June 2017, doi:10.1177/0001839217718547
- Related Interview on Bob’s podcast
Valentine, M.A. 2017. When Equity Seems Unfair: The Role of Justice Enforceability in Temporary Team Coordination. Academy of Management Journal. Published ahead of print October 2017, doi:10.5465/amj.2016.1101
Valentine, M.A., Edmondson, A.C. 2015. Team Scaffolds: How Meso-level Structures Enable Role-based Coordination in Temporary Groups. Organization Science, 26(2): 405-422.
- Outstanding Paper with Practical Implications, OB Division, AOM Conference 2012
- Related Team Scaffolds video
- Discussed in Amy’s HBR article, Ethan’s HBR article, Ed’s book, Bob’s book
Valentine, M.A., Nembhard, I.M., Edmondson, A.C. 2015. Measuring Teamwork in Health Care Settings: A Review of Survey Instruments. Medical Care, 53(4):e16–e30
Retelny, D., Valentine, M.A., Bernstein, M. S., No Workflow Can Ever Be Enough: How Crowdsourcing Workflows Constrain Complex Work. CSCW 2018: ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work
Valentine, M.A., Retelny D., To A., Rahmati, N., Doshi, T., Bernstein, M.S., 2017. Flash organizations: Crowdsourcing Complex Work via Reconfigurable Organizational Structures. CHI 2017: SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Best Paper Award
- New York Times article on flash organizations
- Flash organizations presentation at Dean’s Circle
Retelny, D., Robaszkiewicz, R., To, A., Lasecki, W. S., Patel, J., Rahmati, N., Doshi, T., Valentine, M., & Bernstein, M. S. 2014. Expert Crowdsourcing with Flash Teams. Proceedings of the 27th annual ACM symposium on User interface software and technology: 75-85.
- Best Paper Award
- Related Flash Team videos
Honors & Awards
- Graduate Teaching Award, Management Science, Stanford University (2015)
- Hellman Faculty Scholar, Stanford University (2014)
- Winner, Dissertation Proposal Competition, INFORMS/Organization Science (2012)
- Outstanding Paper with Practical Implications, Academy of Management (2012)
- Wyss Award for Excellence in Doctoral Research, Harvard Business School (2013)
- Susan Cohen Award for Doctoral Research, Center for Effective Organizations (2010)
Working Papers (Drafts Available)
Valentine, M.A., Bernstein, M.B. Staging Practices in Flash Organizations.
Kim, S., Song, H., Valentine, M.A. 2017. Team Familiarity and Partner Diversity in Temporary Teams.
Rahman, H., Valentine, M.A. 2017. Relational Contracting in Online Labor Markets.
- Best Student Paper Award Finalist, Faculty Co-author, Organizational Communication and Information Systems Division, Academy of Management
Valentine, M.A., Hong, A.S., Asch, S., Ahn, E. 2017. Consequences of Specialization for Users of Professional Services.
- Flash Teams and Flash Organizations
- Online Labor Markets (with Hatim Rahman)
- A Study of Organizational Design from Start to Finish
- MS&E 184. Future of Work: Issues in Organizational Learning and Design
- MS&E 284. Designing Modern Work Organizations
- MS&E 388. Contemporary Themes in Research on Work and Organizing
- MS&E 383. Ethnographic Research Methods