Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, Stanford University.
Address: 616 Serra Street, Encina Hall West Room 100, Stanford University, Stanford CA 94305-6044
Fax: (+1 617)
Curriculum Vitae [pdf]
- "Rewarding Impatience: A Bargaining and Enforcement Model of OPEC"
International Organization, 58, (Spring 2004).
- "Rewarding Impatience Revisited: A Response to Goodrich"
International Organization, 60, (Spring 2006).
- "The Political Economy of Women's Support for Fundamentalist Islam" (with Drew Linzer) World Politics, 60, (July 2008).
- "Ideological Reorientation and Counterterrorism: Confronting Militant Islam in Egypt" (with Lawrence Rubin) Terrorism and Political Violence, 20, (Winter 2008).
- "Women's Electoral Participation in Egypt: The Implications of Gender for Voter Recruitment and Mobilization" (with Safinaz El Tarouty) Middle East Journal, 63, (July 2009).
"Spoiling the Peace? Peace Process Exclusivity and Political Violence in North-central Africa" (with Jennifer De Maio) Civil Wars, 12, (March 2010).
- "Counting Calories: Democracy and Distribution in the Developing World" (with Mark Kayser) International Studies Quarterly, 55, (December 2011).
- "One Man, One Vote, One Time? A Model of Democratization in the Middle East" (with James Lo) Journal of Theoretical Politics, 24, (January 2012).
- "Elite Competition, Religiosity, and Anti-Americanism in the Islamic World" (with Drew Linzer) American Political Science Review, 106, (May 2012)
- "The Feudal Revolution and Europe's Rise: Political Divergence of the Christian West and the Muslim World before 1500 CE" (with Eric Chaney) American Political Science Review, 107, (February 2013)
- "Religiosity-of-Interviewer Effects: Assessing the Impact of Veiled Enumerators on Survey Response in Egypt" (with Rachel Gillum) Politics & Religion, 6, (September 2013).
- "How Does Islamic Local Governance Affect the Lives of Women? A Comparative Study of Two Cairo Neighborhoods" Governance, forthcoming
Unpublished Translations (from Arabic)