Massive online classrooms bring together students from around the world in one connected classroom. In my research, I design software systems and associated pedagogy that leverages peer processes at massive scale.
Talkabout enables students in massive classes to talk in small, but global discussion groups. Randomized controlled experiments show these global discussions help students learn better. PeerStudio provides them fast qualitative feedback on open-ended work. Students using PeerStudio get feedback in less than an hour, orders of magnitude faster than traditional methods. Thousands of learners in both Massive Open Online Classrooms (MOOCs) and university classrooms have used these platforms for large-scale peer assessment and discussion.
The insights behind our structured peer assessment systems have also since been adopted by other researchers in human-computer interaction (HCI) and social computing.
Using our software
- Talkabout: Please fill out this form. We will be able to support your class if it runs on Coursera, edX or other LTI-compatible platform.
- PeerStudio: Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you're a student using PeerStudio in your class, you can email us your problem– please use the email address you use with your class. For regrades and deadline extensions, please ask your course staff.
If you're at Stanford's School of Education, and want to study how students use PeerStudio or Talkabout, please email me. If you're a Stanford undergrad, and want to work with me this summer, I encourage you to apply to the CURIS program.
Papers and other resources are here. The PeerStudio paper is not "camera-ready" yet, so please email me for a copy.
- Dec, 2014 Visiting parents in India. Taking a vacation.
- Dec, 2014 Both submissions to the new ACM Learning at Scale conference are accepted!
- Dec 1, 2014 Attending the Learning at Scale PC meeting
- Oct 5, 2014 I'm presenting at the UIST Doctoral Consortium.
- Aug 13, 2014 I'm presenting at the MOOC Practitioners' workshop.
- Apr 7 2014 Ed Hutchins is presenting on his experiences using our project PeerStudio at the Wa seminar at UC San Diego.
- Apr 15 2014 I'm presenting at the BiD seminar at UC Berkeley.
- Apr 26 to May 2, 2014 Visiting CHI 2014.
- May 30 2014 Julia Cambre and I are presenting Talkabout at the ID SIG seminar at Stanford.
- Mar 4-5 2014 Paper Scaling Short-answer Grading By Combining Peer Assessment With Algorithmic Scoring at Learning at Scale 2014 in Atlanta, GA.