Assistant Professor of
Graduate School of Business
655 Knight Way, W240
Stanford, CA 94305-5015
jpferg [at] stanford [dot] edu
I host my papers
on SocArxiv. Since this is
a fairly new thing for the sociologically trained, you might want to
learn more by reading
announcement. The published papers below link to pre-prints, with
redirects to the various (gated) journal sites where the final
versions are hosted. I'll spare you a rant about open access here.
Recombinations: Institutional Gatekeeping in the Innovation
- With Gianluca Carnabuci. Forthcoming in Organization
- "Racial Diversity and Union
Organizing in the United States, 1999--2008."
- 2016. The Industrial and Labor Relations Review 69(1):
- "The Lives and Deaths of Jobs:
Technical Interdependence and Survival in a Job
- With Sharique Hasan and Rembrand Koning. 2015. Organization
Science 26(6): 1665--1681.
- "The Control of Managerial
Discretion: Evidence from Unionization's Impact on Employment
- 2015. The American Journal of Sociology 121(3):
- "Specialization and Career
Dynamics: Evidence from the Indian Administrative
- With Sharique Hasan. 2013. Administrative Science
Quarterly 58(2): 233--256.
- "The Eyes of the
Needles: A Sequential Model of Union Organizing Drives,
- 2008. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 62(1):
- "Collective Bargaining in the Twenty-First Century: A
Negotiations Institution at Risk."
- With Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, Thomas A. Kochan and Betty
Barrett. 2007. Negotiations Journal 23(3): 249--265.
- "An Effective Confluence of Forces in Support of Workers'
Rights: ILO Standards, US Trade Laws, Unions and NGOs."
- With William A. Douglas and Erin Klett. 2004. Human Rights
Quarterly 26(2): 273--299.
- "Movement Spillover and Union
Support during the 'Long Protest Wave.'"
- With Thomas Dudley and Sarah A. Soule. Current version: July
- "Firm Relocation and Spatial
Mismatch: Evidence from Natural Disasters."
- With Kaisa Snellman. Current version: June 2016.
- "Relational Categorization:
Evidence from the Diversification of American Labor Unions,
- Current version: June 2013.
Other Reserach Projects
- "Employee Sorting in the Absence of Managerial Discretion."
- With Christine Isakson. Current version: March 2016.
- "Bureaucratic Careers and Communal Violence in India."
- With Sharique Hasan and Rembrand Koning. Data collection in
Data and Other Files
- NLRB Representation Election
- Much of my research has used data on union-representation
elections from the National Labor Relations Board. Guides to
files and some code are here.