from Julia import bio
- I'm a rising senior at Stanford majoring in Mathematical and Computational Science (B.S.) and Computer Science, AI track (M.S.).
- I like teaching computers to see (computer vision), discover stuff (unsupervised learning), and make stuff (generative models).
- I'm the Cartoons Editor at The Stanford Daily, which means I get to guide people who draw cool things and tell meaningful stories.
- I speak Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, computer, and am learning Portuguese (and portugeese).
- I named the research lab I'm in and created our logo—one of my proudest moments as a language + design-loving human.
- I don't leave our first conversation without pronouncing your name correctly.
- The rest of my life includes joyfully doing research, illustrating puns, mentoring and working with other women in tech, demystifying AI, writing satire, singing, taking photos, and clearly, making lists.
how to slide into dms
>> jxgong at stanford punto edu
ah, yet another list
- 2020-2021 • Stanford University • Computer Science, M.S.
- 2017-2021 • Stanford University • Mathematical and Computational Science, B.S.
- 2013-2017 • Cary Academy Upper School • Degree Resembling Lifelong Interest in Learning
- Doing research in medical computer vision (surgical image segmentation)
- Rewriting the Code Student Council and Fellow (creating a community for women in tech)
- Pondering about the intersection of virtual reality and medicine
- Illustrating puns and running The Daily's Cartoons section
- Teaching students computer science + a bunch of other subjects via Splash!, Girls Teaching Girls to Code, and other volunteering efforts because accessible education is cool
some things I have done
- 2020: Google Computer Science Research Mentorship Program (CSRMP) mentored by Orly Liba
- 2019: Research Intern + Women-in-Tech Scholar @Adobe Research, Graphics Intelligence Lab - automatic geometric warping for face cartoonization mentored by Yannick Hold-Geoffroy and Cynthia Lu; patent-pending
- 2018: Research Intern @SAS Institute, Cognitive Analytics Division - deep biomedical image analysis for liver tumor segmentation in CT scans mentored by Jared Peterson and Fijoy Vadakkumpadan
- 2018: Research Assistant @Stanford SustainLab - poverty index prediction from street-level imagery
- 2018: StreetCode Academy Volunteer Instructor - teaching CS to underprivileged students in East Palo Alto
- 2018: Mathematics Tutor @Stanford University - linear algebra, multivariable calculus, differential equations
- 2017: Stanford Applied Statistics Society - discussions around data science and machine learning
- 2017: Technical Intern @JMP Software - created R add-in builder mentored by Daniel Valente
- 2016: American Computer Science League - team captain + individual champion
- 2016: TEDx Speaker @TEDx Cary Academy - invited to speak on skin cancer detection software and science as a creative process
- 2016: Technical Intern @JMP Software - developed skin cancer detection software mentored by Diana Levey and John Ponte
some things I have received
- 2020: Stanford Phi Beta Kappa Honor Roll
- 2020: Cadence Women-in-Tech Scholarship
- 2019: Adobe Research Women-in-Tech Scholar
- 2019: Palantir Women-in-Tech Scholar
- 2019: Microsoft Tuition Scholar
- 2017: Advancing Women in Technology Scholar
- 2017: Robertson Scholar @Duke University - awarded full ride
- 2017: Cary Academy Founder's Award + Commencement Speaker
- 2016: National Center for Women & Information Technology Aspirations Award Winner
- 2016: National Bluetooth Breakthrough Award - device to prevent drug-facilitated sexual assault