Richard L. Meehan Consulting Engineer
Consulting Professor, Stanford University (1974-present)
Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Spring 2000)
D.I.C. Imperial College of Science and Technology (1966)
M.Sc. (Soil Mechanics) University of London, England (1966)
B.S. (Civil Engineering) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1961)
1985-Present Consulting Engineer, in private practice.
1969-1985 President, Earth Sciences Associates, Palo Alto. Management of and quality assurance for 30-person firm specializing in geological and engineering aspects of facility siting of about 300 projects varying from water resource and flood control projects nuclear power plants to mass-produced housing. Development of standards, consultation to cities and agencies on regulation, environmental issues, and failure analysis.
1967-1969 Project Engineer, W.A. Wahler and Associates, Palo Alto. Site investigations and design for environmental and water projects, Northern and Southern California, South America.
1963-1965 Project Engineer, Royal Irrigation Dept., Thailand.
1961-1963 U.S. Army officer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Professional Registration and Membership
Civil Engineer: California, Washington, Massachusetts; Geotechnical Engineer: California; American Society of Civil Engineers; National Groundwater Association; Association of Groundwater Scientists and Engineers; American Association for the Advancement of Science
1. Meehan, RL; Morgenstern, NR (January 1968): "The Approximate Solution of Seepage Problems by a Simple Electrical Analogue Method," Civil Engineering, London.
2. Meehan, RL; Hamilton, DH (April 23, 1971): "Ground Rupture in the Baldwin Hills," Science. 172, no. 3981, 333-344.
3. Meehan, RL; Reed, JW; Crellin, GL (1973): "Probability of a Surface Rupture Offset Beneath a Nuclear Test Reactor."
4. Meehan, RL; Dukes, MT; Shires, PO (September 1975): "A Case History of Expansive Claystone Damage," ASCE Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division.
5. Meehan, RL (November 1975): "Implementation of California's Seismic Planning Law at the Local Government Level," Association of Engineering Geologists, Annual Conference.
6. Meehan, RL (November 2-5, 1975): "The Impact of Geology on Land Development; Effect of Hillside Materials on Development Costs," Proceedings of the 10th Annual Meeting of the Association of Engineering Geologists. 18, 37.
7. Meehan, RL; Wright, RH; Kelley, DW; Costa, R Jr; Nelson, EA; Blau, DH (February 1976): "Assessment of Trout Stream Habitat Using Photogeology," Association of Engineering Geologists, Annual Meeting.
8. Meehan, RL (April 1976): "Dynamic Analysis of the Slide in the Lower San Fernando Dam During the Earthquake of February 9, 1971," ASCE Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division.
9. Meehan, RL (June 1976): "Dynamic Strength of Hydraulic Fill," ASCE Journal of the Geotechnical Engineering Division.
10. Meehan, RL; Leps, TM; Strassburger, AG (October 1978): "Seismic Stability of Hydraulic Fill Dams," International Water Power and Dam Construction.
11. Meehan, RL (1984): The Atom and the Fault, The MIT Press, Boston.
12. Meehan, RL; Jelks, Lauren (May 1987): "The Battered Exclusion: Who Pays How Much For Landslides?" For the Defense.
13. Meehan, RL; Cotton, WR (November 3, 1987): "Geotechnical Analysis and Mitigation Alternatives of the Big Rock Mesa Landslide, Malibu, Los Angeles County, California," American Geophysical Union, 1987 Fall Meeting, 68, no. 44, 1285-1286.
14. Meehan, RL; Hamilton, DA (Spring 1992): "Cause of the 1985 Ross Store Explosion and Other Gas Ventings, Fairfax District, Los Angeles," Engineering Geology Practice in Southern California.
15. Meehan, RL (Spring 1993): "A Natural History of Underground Fuel Tank Leakage," Environmental Claims Journal, 5, no. 3, 339.
16. Meehan, RL; King, S; Ronold, K; Yang, F (April 1993): "Contemporary Model of Civil Engineering Failures," Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. 119, n. 2, 138-146.
17. Meehan, RL (November 1993): "Key Technical Factors Relevant in Cleanup Negotiations" presented at the PNWIS Air & Waste Management Association Conference, Victoria, B.C.
18. Meehan, RL; Karp, LB (May 1994): "California Housing Damage Related to Expansive Soils," Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities. 8, no. 2, 139-157.
19. Meehan, RL; Shlemon, RJ (1994): "The Sequence Stratigraphy of Fluvial Depositional Systems: The Role of Floodplain Sediment Storage," Sedimentary Geology, 92, in press.
20. Meehan, RL (May 1995): "The Roots of Failure," Design Book Review,