Sean Howe. seanpkh AT stanford DOT edu. My CV.
A randomly generated cubic surface with its real lines (mathematica notebook below )
I am an NSF Postdoctoral Scholar at Stanford University. In June 2017, I received my PhD from the University of Chicago under Matt Emerton. In July 2012 I received a joint master's degree from Leiden University
and Universite Paris-Sud 11 through the ALGANT integrated masters course.
I am interested in arithmetic geometry, algebraic geometry, and number theory.
E-mail: seanpkh AT stanford DOT edu.
Office: 384-F (that means Building 380, fourth floor, office F. If I'm not there, say hello to Pablo!)
This is me in September 2016 on Maui. Unfortunately, you're more likely to find me in my office.
papers about things I still think about:
- A unipotent circle action on p-adic modular forms. Preprint.
Comments, questions, and/or suggestions are very welcome! [Note that this is an updated version of a preprint that was earlier distributed under the name "the big Hecke action" and even earlier as "theta and the big Hecke action". Make up my mind, why don't I?]
- The p-adic Jacquet-Langlands correspondence and a question of Serre. arXiv:1806.06807.
- Overconvergent modular forms and the p-adic Jacquet-Langlands correspondence. University of Chicago PhD Thesis, 2017. pdf
Some of the results of this thesis appear in "The p-adic Jacquet-Langlands correspondence and a question of Serre," above.
- Transcendence of the Hodge-Tate filtration. To appear, JTNB. arXiv:1610.05242.
- Motivic random variable and representation stability II: Hypersurface sections. arXiv:1610.05720. An updated version (will be updated on arXiv when final journal version is ready).
- Motivic random variable and representation stability I: Configuration spaces. arXiv:1610.05723.
older papers, etc.:
- Presentations of quaternionic S-unit groups. With T. Chinburg, H. Friedlander, M. Kosters, B. Singh, M. Stover, P. Ziegler, and
Y. Zhang. Experimental Mathematics, Volume 24, Issue 2, 2015. arXiv:1404.6091
- Higher genus counterexamples to relative Manin-Mumford. ALGANT Master's
thesis. Available online.
- The Log-Convex Density Conjecture and vertical surface area in warped
products. Advances in Geometry, 15.4:455--468, 2015. arXiv:1107.4402
- Asymptotics of conductors of elliptic curves over Q. With Kirti Joshi. arXiv:1201.4566
Note: This is an older project that has gone through several iterations and is still in revision, but is on the back burner and may never be finished.
problems in sectors with density. With Alexander Diaz, Nate Harman, and David Thompson.Advances in Geometry, 14.4:589--619, 2012.
- Steiner and Schwarz symmetrization in
warped products and fiber bundles with density. With Frank Morgan and Nate Harman. Revista Matematica Iberoamericana,
27(3):909--918, 2011. arXiv:0911.1938
- Isoperimetric inequalities
for wave fronts and a generalization of Menzin's conjecture for bicycle monodromy
on surfaces of constant curvature. With Matt Pancia and Valentin Zakharevich. Advances in Geometry, 11:273--292, 2011.
Some of these are old and may be be quite rough, sorry!
(provided as-is; feel free to use, and let me know if you do something cool!)
- Root Loops: Dynamically draws roots of a one-parameter family of polynomials.
- random-cubic-lines.nb: Generates and displays a random cubic surface with its real lines.
- random-surface.nb: Generates and displays a random surface (can vary degree)
- random-curve.nb: Generates and displays a random curve (can vary degree)