Getting startedLauren Hall-Lew's class on language and gender covers, "The role of language in the construction of gender, the maintenance of the gender order, and social change. Field projects explore hypotheses about the interaction of language and gender."
This page gives some links to materials I prepared as a teaching assistant.
First off, here are the slides from my lectures.
- First section (intro)
- Third section (essentialism)
- Fourth section (Ochs and mid-term prep)
- Post-mid-term section (dudes and drag)
- Sixth section (politeness)
- Seventh section (categorization)
- Eighth section (Gal)
- Last section (review)