- The Economics of Computers,
- The Columbia University Press (New York), 1969, 571 pages.
- Portfolio Theory and Capital Markets,
- McGraw-Hill Book Company (New York), 1970, 316 pages.
- Introduction to Managerial Economics,
- Columbia University Press, 1973.
- BASIC: An Introduction to Computer Programming Using the
- (Third Edition, with Nancy L. Jacob), The Free Press (New York),
- Asset Allocation Tools,
- (Second Edition), The Scientific Press, 1987, 139 pages.
- (Sixth Edition, with Gordon J. Alexander and Jeffrey V. Bailey),
- Fundamentals of Investments
- (Third Edition, with Gordon J. Alexander and Jeffrey V. Bailey),
- Portfolio Theory and Capital Markets,the
Original Edition with a Forward
- McGraw-Hill Book Company (New York), 2000.
Investors and Markets: Portfolio Choices, Asset Prices and
University Press, 2007
- "A Simplified Model for Portfolio Analysis,"
- Management Science, January 1963, pp. 277-293.
- "Capital Asset Prices - A Theory of Market Equilibrium Under
Conditions of Risk,"
- Journal of Finance, September 1964, pp. 425-442.
- "Risk-Aversion in the Stock Market - Some Empirical Evidence,"
- Journal of Finance, September 1965, pp. 416-422.
- "Mutual Fund Performance,"
- Journal of Business, January 1966, pp. 119-138.
- "A Linear Programming Algorithm for Mutual Fund Portfolio
- Management Science, March 1967, pp. 499-510.
- "Mean-Absolute Deviation Characteristic Lines for Securities and
- Management Science, October 1971, pp. B-1-B-13.
- "A Linear Programming Approximation for the General Portfolio
- Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, December
1971, pp. 1263-1275.
- "Risk, Market Sensitivity and Diversification,"
- Financial Analysts Journal, January/February 1972, pp.
- "Risk-Return Classes of New York Stock Exchange Common Stocks,
- (with Guy M. Cooper), Financial Analysts Journal,
March/April 1972, pp. 46-54, 81, 95-101.
- "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Traditional and 'Zero-Beta'
- Journal of the Midwest Finance Association, 1973, pp.
- "Bonds Versus Stocks: Some Lessons From Capital Market Theory,"
- Financial Analysts Journal, November/December 1973, pp.
- "Imputing Expected Returns From Portfolio Composition,"
- Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, June
1974, pp. 463-472.
- "Adjusting for Risk in Portfolio Performance Measurement,"
- Journal of Portfolio Management, Winter 1975.
- "Closed-end Investment Companies in the United States"
- (with Howard B. Sosin), European Finance Association,
1974 Proceedings (B. Jacquillat, Editor), North-Holland,
1975, pp. 37-63.
- "Likely Gains From Market Timing,"
- Financial Analysts Journal, March/April 1975, pp. 60-69.
- "Risk, Return and Yield: New York Stock Exchange Common Stocks,
- (with Howard B. Sosin), Financial Analysts Journal,
March/April 1976, pp. 33-42.
- "Corporate Pension Funding Policy,"
- Journal of Financial Economics, June 1976, pp. 183-193.
- "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: A 'Multi-Beta' Interpretation,"
- Financial Decision Making Under Uncertainty,
(Haim Levy and Marshall Sarnat, Editors), Academic Press (New York),
1977, pp. 127-136.
- "Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance, and Security Values,"
- Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, November
1978, pp. 701-718.
- "Duration and Security Risk",
- (with Ronald Lanstein) Journal of Financial and Quantitative
Analysis, November 1978, pp. 653-668.
- "Decentralized Investment Management,"
- Journal of Finance, May 1981, pp. 217-234.
- "Bank Capital Adequacy, Deposit Insurance, and Security Values
- Risk and Capital Adequacy in Commercial Banks,
(Sherman J. Maisel, Editor), University of Chicago Press, 1981, pp.
- "Some Factors in New York Stock Exchange Security Returns,
- Journal of Portfolio Management, Summer 1982, pp. 5-19.
- "Optimal Funding and Asset Allocation Rules for Defined-Benefit
- (with J. Michael Harrison), Financial Aspects of the
United States Pension System , (Zvi Bodie and John B. Shoven,
Editors), The University of Chicago Press (Chicago), 1983, pp. 91-105.
- "Factor models, CAPMs, and the APT,"
- Journal of Portfolio Management, Fall 1984, pp. 21-25.
- "Practical Aspects of Portfolio Optimization,"
- Improving the Investment Decision Process: Quantitative
Assistance for the Practitioner and for the Firm, Dow-Jones
Irwin (Homewood, Illinois), 1984, pp. 52-65.
- "Financial Implications of South African Divestment,",
- (with Blake R. Grossman)Financial Analysts Journal,
July/August 1986, pp. 15-29.
- "An Algorithm for Portfolio Improvement,"
- Advances in Mathematical Programming and Financial
Planning, (K.D. Lawrence, J.B. Guerard, Jr., and Gary D.
Reeves, Editors), JAI Press, Inc., 1987, pp. 155-170.
- "Integrated Asset Allocation,"
- Financial Analysts Journal, September/October 1987, pp.
- "Dynamic Strategies for Asset Allocation",
- (with Andre Perold), Financial Analysts Journal,
January/February 1988, pp. 16-27.
- "Determining a Fund's Effective Asset Mix,"
- Investment Management Review, November/December 1988,
- "Asset Allocation,"
- Managing Investment Portfolios, A Dynamic Process,
(John L. Maginn and Donald L. Tuttle, Editors), Warren, Gorham &
Lamont, 1990, pp. 7-1 through 7-71.
- "Investor Wealth Measures and Expected Return,"
- Quantifying the Market Risk Premium Phenomenon for
Investment Decision Making, The Institute of Chartered
Financial Analysts, 1990, pp. 29-37
- "Liabilities -- A New Approach,"
- (with Lawrence G. Tint), Journal of Portfolio Management,
Winter 1990, pp. 5-10.
- "Capital Asset Prices with and without Negative Holdings,"
- Journal of Finance, June 1991, pp. 489-509.
- "Policy Asset Mix, Tactical Asset Allocation and Portfolio
- Active Asset Allocation, State-of-the-Art Portfolio
Policies, Strategies & Tactics, (Robert D. Arnott and
Frank J. Fabozzi, Editors), Probus Publishing Company, 1992, pp.
- "Asset allocation: Management style and performance measurement,"
- Journal of Portfolio Management, Winter 1992, pp. 7-19.
- "International Value and Growth Stock Returns,"
- (with Carlo Capaul and Ian Rowley) Financial Analyst's
Journal, January/February 1993, pp. 27-36.
- "The Sharpe Ratio,"
- Journal of Portfolio Management, Fall 1994, pp. 49-58.
- "Nuclear Financial Economics,"
- Risk Management: Problems & Solutions,
(William H. Beaver and George Parker, editors), McGraw-Hill, 1995, pp.
"Budgeting and Monitoring Pension Fund Risk,"
Journal, Vol. 56, No. 5 (September/October
"Asset Allocation" (with Peng Chen, Jerald E. Pinto and Dennis W.
McLeavey), pp. 230-327 in John L. Maginn, Donald L. Tuttle, Dennis W.
McLeavey and Jerald E. Pinto, Managing
Investment Portfolios, A Dynamic Process, Third Edition, John
Wiley & Sons, 2007