First-Year Modern Japanese
JA-001(Fall Quarter) | JA-002(Winter
Quarter) | JA-003(Spring Quarter)
Monday through Friday
Five units per quarter to fulfill the language
Kazuko Morooka Busbin & staff
Bldg. 50-Rm. 52A
tel.(650)723-4846, e-mail: kmbusbin @leland
Provide students with a solid foundation in
grammar, conversation, reading, and basic composition.
Students who would like to be able to read the written documents such
as newspapers, magazines, literatures,
and academic papers particularly benefit from this course as the
beginning of their Japanese study.
- Grammar explanations are approached progressively to lead
students eventually from spoken Japanese
to written Japanese.
- Interactive drilling session to utilize the patterns and
vocabulary in relevant settings.
- Conversation session to discuss and express ideas regarding
the respective dialogues.
- Pattern practice and exercises to review materials in written
forms, such as composition and translation.
- Four-paragraph stories relevant to respective lesson are
assigned to enhance the reading skill followed
by discussing the content.
- Course Reader compiled by the instructor as a
- Beginning Japanese Part I & II by Eleanor
H. Jorden as a grammar-drilling-reference book