ThanksGiving Back - Info
Apply Now for the 2014 Thanksgiving Back Program!
Kick off the academic year by engaging with fellow students, social issues, and the communities right in Stanford's backyard. What better way to give thanks than to give back? Take advantage of this opportunity to work with inspiring community leaders, alumni, and friends to make a positive difference.
Thanksgiving Back (TGB) is a program sponsored by Stanford Alternative Spring Break. Based on the much-loved ASB service-learning model, TGB gives students an opportunity to participate in public service and experiential learning over Thanksgiving Break.
You can apply for up to 3 trips! Applications are due by Wednesday, October 15th, 11:59 pm. Due to high traffic website at that time, it is strongly recommended that you submit your application sooner rather than later.
Who Should Apply?
Any Stanford University students interested in engaging in public service and experiential learning over Thanksgiving Break.
Which trips are offered this year?
- Edtech: How Silicon Valley is shaping the future of education
- Urban Food Solutions: Strategies for Sustainable Food in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Medicine in Science and Society
For complete descriptions of this year's trips, click the "courses and trips" menu item above.
What does the time commitment look like?
Participants must be able to attend the following:
- Pre-Trip Workshops: Weekly 2-Hour meetings from Week 7, 8, 9, Fall Quarter (Time TBD)*
- Thanksgiving Back Trip: Sunday morning, Nov 23 – Wednesday evening, Nov 26
*Exceptions may be made for one-time academic obligations (such as midterms).
Tell me more about the trips!
All trips will take place around the Bay Area. Groups may stay with community organizations, Stanford alumni, or other low-budget accommodations within a few hours drive of Stanford.
The total program fee is $90. If the fee is a concern, you can indicate that you want to be considered for financial aid on your application. You will be notified of your financial aid status for TGB in a separate email after being accepted into a trip.
What is the selection process like?
Apply by 11:59pm, Wednesday, October 15th. Trip leaders will review applications and select 10 participants. No previous experience in service-learning is required. If accepted, applicants will need to confirm their spots in the program. Cost per participant is $90, but need-based financial aid is available. Financial aid is confidentially administered with the assistance of Stanford's Financial Aid Office.
Ready to apply? Follow the directions below:
- Click on "Login with your SUNet ID" on the upper left hand corner. If you have not applied for one of our trips before, please create a profile. If you already have a profile, you'll need to update and save it.
- Click on the Courses and Trips menu tab to read about this year's opportunities.
- When you have an idea to which trips you would like to apply, click the "My Home" link on left. This will take you to the applications. Please be sure to fill out both of the Common Application questions, as well as the Trip Specific Question, and SAVE YOUR RESPONSES on your own computer for your records in case the website encounters problems.
- You can apply for up to 3 trips.
Email them to the ASB/TGB Coordinators team at asbcoordinators14-15 [at] lists [dot] stanford [dot] edu