Axe Theft of 1967
Date: May 12, 1967
Location: Trophy Case, Tressider Union
Duration: 6 months
When the Axe was stolen from its case in Tressider Union, it was initially thought to be an ‘inside job.’ The thief apparently had a good working knowledge of the Axe’s case and its alarm system. The thief was able to remove the Axe from the case without activating the alarm.
The Axe was not returned to Stanford until the day of Big Game, but it was seen in photographs (some real, some fabricated and doctored) that were sent to local newspapers.
Here are the details and accounts of the 1967 theft:
From The Stanford Daily
- May 16, 1967 – Rumors Spread But Police Report No Clues In Case of Missing Axe
- May 18, 1967 – The Axe Is Back…In Berkeley
- October 30, 1967 – Axe Comm Still Missing Axe
- November 14, 1967 – Anonymous Picture
- November 16, 1967
- November 20, 1967 – Stanford Forfeits Axe In Big Game Debacle