How do I get a Social Security Number?

A Social Security Number (SSN) is the American equivalent of a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN).

See the I-Centre info on SSN:

You will need to visit a social security office to apply for a social security number (there is an office in Mountain View at 700 E El Camino Real). The application process is straightforward: bring your passport with status/visa information as well as supplementary ID (such as a birth certificate) and let the agent do the rest. There are a few things to be aware of:

Last Updated 9/27/2009 by ssoneff