From Designing Education Lab
- Center for Design Research
424 Panama Mall, Bldg. 560
Stanford, CA 94305-2206
Helena is studying Biomechanical Engineering as a Stanford undergraduate and will graduate in 2014. Her research focus is on how to retain girls and women in STEM fields, particularly in high school and college. She is investigating the conditional effects of gender on the high school and undergraduate experiences and conducted a literature review to assess best practices for secondary and post-secondary educators.
She has a passion for design, human movement, and high performance sailing - especially when it involves carbon fiber. Helena writes for the Stanford Journal of Public Health and is part of the Stanford Society of Women Engineers and Community Service coordinator for Cardinal Council (Stanford's student-athlete advisory committee). She has been Captain of the Varsity Sailing Team for two years and is on the Olympic Development Team. She joined the DEL in the summer of 2012.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Fall 2013 (expected)
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2010
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University, 2008
- Brunhaver, S. R., Lande, M., Sheppard, S. D., & Carryer, J. E. (2012). Fostering an enterprising learning ecology for engineers. International Journal of Engineering Education, 28(2): 355-363.
- Brunhaver, S., Eris. O., & Sheppard, S. (2011). Looking at engineering students through a motivation/confidence framework. American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Vancouver, Canada, June 26–29, link.
- Brunhaver, S. R., Lande, M., Sheppard, S. D., & Carryer, J. E. (2011). Fostering an enterprising learning ecology for engineers. Harvey Mudd Design Workshop VIII, May 26–28.
- Brunhaver, S., Korte, R., Lande, M., & Sheppard, S. (2010). Supports and barriers that recent engineering graduates experience in the workplace. American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Louisville, KY, June 20–23, link. Helena Scutt