From Designing Education Lab
- Center for Design Research
424 Panama Mall Room 116
Stanford, CA 94305-2232
Sam Brunhaver is a Ph.D. candidate in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford. She also has a Ph.D. minor in Education. Her primary research focuses on the pathways of students and alumni in engineering fields. Her dissertation explores and models the factors that affect recent engineering alumni's plans to work in an engineering position. She is undertaking this work as part of the NSF funded Engineering Pathways Study (EPS).
Sam is a Stanford DARE (Diversifying Academia, Recruiting Excellence) Fellow. For the three years, she was co-president of the Stanford Mechanical Engineering Women’s Group. She is also a founding member of the Stanford American Society for Engineering Education student chapter. As an undergraduate, Sam did co-ops and internships at The Procter & Gamble Company, The Boston Scientific Corporation, and A.W. Chesterton.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, June 2014 (expected)
- Ph.D. Minor in Education, Stanford University
- Certificate in Product Creation and Innovative Manufacturing, Stanford University
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, 2010
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Northeastern University, 2008
- Sheppard, S., Antonio, A., Brunhaver, S., & Gilmartin, S. (In press.) Studying the career pathwasy of engineers: An illustration with two datasets. In Eds. A. Johri & B. Olds, Cambridge Handbook of Engineering Education Research
- Brunhaver, S., Gilmartin, S., Chen, H., Grau, M., Matusovich, H., Winters, K., Carrico, C., & Sheppard, S. (2013). Differences in the work characteristics and experiences of early career engineering graduates. American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA. pdf
- Brunhaver, S., Gilmartin, S. K., Chen, H. L., Grau, M. M., & Sheppard, S. (2013). Not all the same: A look at early career engineers employed in different sub-occupations. American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA. pdf.