From Designing Education Lab
- Center for Design Research
424 Panama Mall, Bldg. 560
Stanford, CA 94305-2206
Shannon K. Gilmartin, Ph.D., is Director of SKG Analysis, a research consulting firm, and Consulting Assistant Professor at Stanford University’s School of Engineering. Her expertise and interests focus on education and workforce development in science and engineering fields. Previous and current clients include the American Chemical Society, the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology, California Institute of Technology, the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at California State University Fullerton, the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education at Stanford University, the Michelle R. Clayman Institute for Gender Research at Stanford University, and the School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.
Shannon received her B.A. at Stanford University and her M.A. and Ph.D. at UCLA, and held two postdoctoral research appointments at the California Institute of Technology and Stanford University before starting her own consulting practice. She has taught undergraduate courses at UCLA in gender, psychology, and education. Her publications appear in Academe, Journal of American College of Surgeons, Journal of Research on Adolescence, Journal of Research on Science Teaching, Journal of Women and Minorities in Science and Engineering, Men and Masculinities, Research in Higher Education, The Journal of Higher Education, and The Journal of the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition.
- Ph.D., Education, University of California, Los Angeles, 2003
- M.A, Education, University of California, Los Angeles, 2000
- B.A., American Studies, Stanford University, 1994
- Girod, S., S.K. Gilmartin, H. Valantine, and L. Schiebinger. 2011. Academic couples: Implications for medical school faculty recruitment and retention. Journal of American College of Surgeons 212: 310-319.
- Schiebinger, L., and S.K. Gilmartin. 2010. Housework is an academic issue. Academe 96: 39-44.
- Sheppard, S.D., S.K. Gilmartin, H.L. Chen, K. Donaldson, G. Lichtenstein, Ö. Eriş, M. Lande, and G. Toye. 2010. Exploring the Engineering Student Experience: Findings from the Academic Pathways of People Learning Engineering Survey (APPLES). Center for the Advancement of Engineering Education. Available at: http://www.engr.washington.edu/caee/APPLES_report.html.
- Simard, C., A.D. Henderson, S.K. Gilmartin, L. Schiebinger, and T. Whitney. 2008. Climbing the Technical Ladder: Obstacles and Solutions for Mid-Level Women in Technology. Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology, and the Michelle R. Clayman Institute for Gender Research at Stanford University. Available at: http://www.stanford.edu/group/gender/ResearchPrograms/TopTech/Climbing_the_Technical_Ladder.pdf
- Gilmartin, S.K., N. Denson, E. Li., A. Bryant, and P. Aschbacher. 2007. Gender ratios in high school science departments: The effect of percent female faculty on multiple dimensions of students’ science identities. Journal of Research on Science Teaching 44: 980-1009.
- Sax, L.J., S.K. Gilmartin, and A.N. Bryant. 2003. Assessing response rates and nonresponse bias in web and paper surveys. Research in Higher Education 44: 409-432.