PHS Data Portal
The PHS Data Portal (powered by Redivis) allows our research community to interface with PHS data offerings. Through the portal, you can browse hundreds of datasets (and their metadata), discover those most relevant for your work, apply for access, track your progress, and query terabyte-scale datasets in seconds — all from the comfort of your browser. The Data Portal is under active development, and your feedback is essential in helping us to develop a platform that best meets researchers’ needs. Please file any bugs or feature requests at https://github.com/redivis/meta, and you can follow along with the release notes at https://github.com/redivis/meta/releases
Getting started on the portal
2. Create an account by clicking “Sign up” in the top bar. (use Stanford email!)
3. Explore data offerings and locate datasets of interest by navigating to the “Dataset Group” or “Dataset” tabs to locate a dataset you are interested in working with (e.g., the Truven Population dataset).
Sign up for an account (2) and explore data offerings (3) in the data portal
4. Complete requirements necessary to access the dataset by navigating to the ‘Access’ tab of a dataset’s page. Upon requirement completion, you can ‘view variables’, ‘view statistics’ and further investigate the contents of the data on the ‘Variables’ tab. (In some cases, no requirements need be completed to perform certain actions)
Complete access requirements (4) on the ‘Access’ tab of a dataset or dataset group page
5. Create a new project to further interrogate a dataset of interest by clicking on the upper-right ‘Use Data’ menu and selecting ‘Use in project’. (You’ll need to complete all the requirements necessary to ‘View cells and use in project’ to do this step)
6. Access your created projects and starred datasets at any point by navigating to the ‘Workspace’ tab in the top bar.
Start a new project (5) to query a dataset and keep track of your projects (6) in your ‘workspace’
Getting started with the project tool – using the user interface
We have created a sample project using publicly available datasets, which can be found here. The sample project takes off from the “Getting started on the portal” described above. We go through how to create a project using a PHS dataset, the different steps to take to create a final cohort and how to export the data. Once you have access to a dataset, we can grant you access to one of our more detailed sample projects using claims data.
Sample project using the User Interface can be found here