For current class schedule and pricing, click here.
Notes on Classes
- Beginners welcome - NO dance experience necessary
- No partner necessary
- No preregistration
Please note that we encourage our intermediate dancers to attend the beginners’ class as well. If you’re taking the intermediate class, you can also sign up for the beginner’s class at a reduced price.
If you're not on it, sign up for the Stanford Tango Club listserv. This is the only way for us to send you location or other updates in a timely manner.
Pay before class by cash or check - we especially appreciate it if you bring exact change!
- Wear shoes that will stay on your feet and have flexible, non-sticky soles that allow you to pivot. Leather or suede soles are best.
- Latin ballroom shoes, character shoes, and jazz shoes are all great practice shoes for tango.
- Men, please wear shoes that are NOT oversized. A misplaced foot can hurt the followers foot/leg.
- Do not wear flip-flops, sling-backs, clogs, and strapless slip-ons.
- For your first few lessons, you can even dance in socks!
- Do NOT use powder for your shoes. The custodians may fine us if you do.
What level am I?
Having completed a beginners series doesn't mean you're ready for intermediate! Most people take two or three beginner series before taking intermediate, or take both the lower and upper level series at the same time as they transition between levels.
To feel comfortable in the intermediate class, you should be able to lead or follow the following:
- Walking in parallel and crossed system
- Follower's cross
- Back and forward ochos
- Ocho cortado
- Half turn to the left/right
For further questions on classes, please contact us here.