Philip C. Hanawalt
Former undergraduate, graduate and postdoctoral students,
as well as visiting scientists and their current positions
Undergrads (partial list, 1960s to current):
- John N Galgiani, 1967, M.D., Director, Valley Fever Center for Excellence, VA Medical Center and University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
- Perry B. Hackett, Jr., Professor,
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota
- Ann Thomas, 1971, "The Fate of Pyrimidine Dimers in UV Irradiated HeLa Cells".
- Laura Hofstader, 1972, "Effect of EDTA on Escherichia Coli".
- Richard Beller, 1974, "Studies in Viability of a Temperature Sensitive Mutant Defective in DNA Replication".
- Vincent C. Hung, 1974, "Repair Incorporation and Excision Repair in S and Non-S Phases of the Mammalian
- James. P. Loehr, 1975, "On the Termination of DNA Replication in E. coli".
- Michael McKeown, 1975, "Studies on Nucleoside Metabolism and Transport in E. coli K-12". Professor of Medical Science, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology and Biochemistry program, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- Robert T. Wilder, 1977, "DNA Repair in Different Regions of Chromatin in Human Cells".
- Mary Gretchen Mooers, 1980, "Repair Synthesis in Escherichia Coli in Response to N-Methyl-N'-Nitro-N-
- Barbara Hanson, 1980, "Host Effects on the Integrity of DNA from UV-sensitive T4 Phage".
- Susan A. Hurvitz, 1981, "Role of the denV gene product of T4 phage in repair of furocoumarin adducts in DNA".
- Gino Cortopassi, 1981, Professor of Molecular Biosciences, University of California, Davis, California
- Stephanie A. Meade, 1984, "Effects of OsO4 on the Transforming Activity of pSV2-gpt DNA".
- Hitten Madhani, 1985, "Alpha DNA in African Green Monkey Cells is Organized into Extremely Long Tandem Arrays". M.D. Ph.D., Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco, CA.
- Laurie Goodman, 1985, "Identification and Isolation of the DNA Polymerase III (Pol C) Promoter in Bacillus Subtilis".
- Marcus A. Jimenez, 1986, "Cell cycle effects on Transient and Stable Expression of Plasmid DNA in Human Cells".
- Lena Wu, 1986, "Integration of Plasmid DNA Into Human Cells".
- Cristopher M. Haqq, 1987, "Correlation of Cellular Repair of Pyrimidine Dimers with Tissue-Specific Gene
- Carolyn Chang, 1989, "Transient Expression of UV Irradiated Shuttle Vectors in Cultured Human Cells".
- Rebecca M. Baron, 1990, "Removal of Mitomicin C Interstrand Crosslinks from the Human C-FMS and C-FOS
Oncogenes". M.D., Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA.
- Ricky Hsu, 1990, "The Correlation of DNA Repair Rates with Transcriptional Modulation of the Plasminogen Gene Family".
- Felix Baker, 1991, "Mapping the repair of psoralen photoadducts within the DHFR domain of CHO cells".
- John Chamberlain, 1991, "Dose Response to Ultraviolet Irradiation in the Spec Gene Family of S. Purpuratus sperm".
- Christopher Patil. 1993, "Nucleotide excision repair in the early embryo: Development of an experimental system
in Lytechinus pictus".
- Nika Danial, 1993, "Differential Repair of Cyclobutane Pyrimidine Dimers in Wild Type and Translocated Alleles of the c-myc Oncogene in Burkitt Lymphoma ST486 Cells". Associate Professor of Cancer Biology (DFCI), Harvard Medical School.
- Michelle Lin, 1993, "DNA Repair Efficiency Between 5' and 3' Regions of the DHFR Gene in UV-Irradiated
Human Cells as Indicator of Transcriptional Activity".
- Lee Lim, 1993, "Attempt at Assaying In Vivo Repair of A Plasmid Damaged In Vitro".
- Heather Wilson, 1995, "RNA Polymerase II Conformation at DNA Damage Sites: Role in Transcription-
Coupled DNA Repair".
- Eugene Hong, 1995, "Studies on the Effects of a Unique Chemical Agent on DNA Repair in Escherichia Coli".
- Elinor Baron, 1997, "Human skin fibroblasts expressing the human papillomavirus E6 gene are deficient in overall genomic DNA repair and sensitive to UV radiation." M.D., Infectious Disease, Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
- Brian Davidson, 1998, "RecA mediated targeting of cssDNA to supercoiled duplex DNA: Effects of target
sequence heterology on multistranded hybrid intermediates of recombination.".
- Katherine Young, 1998, "Role of p53 in Expression of a Transfected Gene in Human Fibroblasts; Effects of UV Irradiation on the Plasmid and on the Host Cells".
- Neville Irani, 1999, "Concentration-dependent EMF Effect on DNA Renaturation Kinetics".
- Aurora Comerford, 2000, "An investigation of the p53- and p48- regulated repair of carcinogen- DNA adducts in
- Lauren Maeda, 2001, "Partial arrest of T7 RNA polymerase translocation by thymine glycol in the transcribed DNA strand is independent of nucleotide sequence context". Clinical Assistant Professor, Oncology, Stanford University School of Medicine.
- Brian Laing, 2002, "The role of the 26S proteasome in nucleotide excision repair of mammalian cells".
- Phillip Merksamer, 2004, "On the Nature of the Lethal Event in Thymine Starved Escherichia coli".
- Pamela Morganroth, 2006, "A new look at a classic phenomenon: exploring the mechanism of thymineless death in
Escherichia coli". M.D. Dermatology, Portland, OR.
- Erandi Da Silva, 2006, "Effect of an Intramolecular Triplex on Transcription Elongation by T7 RNA Polymerase".
- Devarati Mitra, 2006, "A potential approach to study the role of transcription-coupled repair in ultraviolet sensitive syndrome".M.D., Ph.D., Intern, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston.
- Richard Liu, 2008, "Peptide Nucleic Acid Binding and Oligonucleotide Induced Mutagenesis in Repetitive DNA Sequence from Friedreich's Ataxia".
- Viviana Salinas-Rios, 2010, "Transcription in Triplet Nucleotide Repeat DNA: Role in Human Genetic Disease".
- Virginia Teijeiro, 2009, "Effect of Z-DNA on transcription elongation".
- Alex Neil, 2012, "Transcription across DNA-bound proteins: From PARP-1 to streptavidin".
- Shristi Pandey, 2013, "Naturally-occurring DNA sequences that interfere with transcription and potentially lead to genetic instability"
- Anne Pipathsouk, 2013, "When transcription goes on Holliday: Translocating RNA polymerase behavior at Holliday junctions".
- Jane Have Soo Shin, 2015, "Transcription blockage by G-rich nucleotide sequences: effects of proximity to the promoter and interaction between multiple promoters".
- Tatiana Rosenblatt, 2015, "Mechanism of glycosylase function in transcription-coupled repair of oxidative damage to DNA".
- Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz, 1978-79, "Excision repair in E. coli". Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH, Maryland.
- Thomas J. Simon, M.D., Executive Director, Gastrointestinal Clinical Research, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA.
- Soo-Youn Kim, 1992, "Preferential removal of UV-induced pyrimidine dimers from the transcribed strand of an
expressed chromosomal gene in Saccharomyces Cervisiae".
- Renee Chun, 1993-94, "DNA repair deficiencies associated with mutations in genes encoding subunits of TFIIH in yeast".
- Jennifer VanOberbeke, 2007, "Transcriptional encounters with Z-DNA".
- Rachel Ann Cox, 2008, "Diagnosis of DNA Repair Deficient Diseases Using the Comet-FISH Assay".
- Dan Ray, Ph.D., Biophysics 1964; Professor, Molecular Biology, UCLA, California
- David Pettijohn, Ph.D., Biophysics 1964; Professor (emeritus), Genetics & Biophysics, University of Colorado Medical Center, Denver, Colorado
- Enrique Cerdá-Olmedo, Ph.D., Biology 1967; Professor & Chairman, Genetics, University of Seville, Spain
- Clifford Brunk, Ph.D., Biophysics 1967; Professor, Zoology, UCLA, California
- Douglas Smith, Ph.D., Biophysics 1967; Professor, Biology, UCSD, La Jolla, California
- Jean Newman-Soll, Ph.D., Biology 1970 (deceased); winner of 1969 Kallman Award to Outstanding Woman Graduate Student
- Russell Mills, Ph.D., Biophysics 1970; current position unknown
- Carl Hanson, Ph.D., Biophysics 1970; Research Scientist, Viral and Rickettsial Disease Lab, California State Department of Health, Berkeley, California
- John Couch, Ph.D., Biophysics 1970; Vice President for Engineering, Imatron, San Francisco, California
- David Swinton, Ph.D., Biology 1971; Vice President of Laboratory Services, STS duoTEK, Inc Inc., Rush, New York
- Gretchen Stein, Ph.D., Biology 1971; Associate Professor, Molecular Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
- Priscilla Cooper, Ph.D., Biology 1971; Head, Department of Molecular Biology, Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, California
- Howard Edenberg, Ph.D., Biology 1973; Professor, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Medical and Molecular Genetics, Indiana University
School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Michael Kahn, Ph.D., Biophysics 1976; Professor, Department of Bacteriology, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
- Barbara Sollner-Webb, Ph.D., Biology 1976; Professor of Biology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- James Kaye, M.D., Medicine 1979; Director of Clinical Research, Genetics Institute, Brookline, Massachussets
- Miriam Zolan, Ph.D., Biology 1983; Professor of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana; winner of 1983 Kallman Award to Outstanding Woman Graduate Student
- James Clark, Ph.D., Biophysics 1983; Director of Research, Celera, South San Francisco, California
- Noel Calvin, Ph.D., Biophysics 1988; Deceased
- Linus Ho, Ph.D., M.D., Cancer Biology 1990; Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Texas Houston, Texas
- Graciela Spivak, Ph.D., Biology (Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina) 1990; Senior Research Scientist (emerita), Stanford University, Stanford, California
- Ángel Islas, Ph.D., Biology, 1993; Associate Professor of Biology, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California
- Lori Lommel, Ph.D., Cancer Biology, 1993; deceased.
- Fred Christians, Ph.D., Biology, 1993; Research Associate, Maxygen, Santa Clara, California
- David Koehler, Ph.D., Biology, 1996; Research Associate, Division of Respiratory Research, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- Jonathan Eisen, Ph. D., 1999, Professor, UC Davis Genome Center, College of Biological Sciences, Davis, California
- David Crowley, Ph.D., Biology, 1999; Assistant Professor of Biology, Assumption College, Worcester, Massachussets
- Justin Courcelle, Ph.D., Cancer Biology, 1999; Professor of Biology, Portland State University, Portland, Oregon.
- Diana Sicard, Ph.D., Biology 2000; Associate Professor, Biology, Universidad de los Andes, Colombia
Former postdoctoral research fellows (partial list, in alphabetical order):
- Niels Aarsaether, Research Associate, University of Bergen, Norway
- Harold Bendigkeit, Professor, Foothill College, California; deceased.
- Vilhelm Bohr, Chief, Laboratory of Molecular Gerontology, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland
- Krista Bowman, Researcher, Exelixys Pharmaceutical Corp., South San Francisco, California
- Ann Burrell, IBM Corporation, San José, California
- Martine Defais, Directeur de Recherche, CNRS Institut de Pharmacologie et de Biologie Structurale, Toulouse, France
- Brian A. Donahue, Patent Law Specialist, Los Altos, California
- James Ford, Professor of Medicine/Oncology and Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California
- Eckart Fuchs, Professor, Genetics, Heidelberg University, W. Germany
- Pauline Gee, President and CEO, Xenometrix Corp., Boulder, Colorado
- Anthony Grivell, Professor, Adelaide, Australia
- Jia Guo, Assistant Professor, Arizona State University Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Alfonso Jimenez-Sánchez, Professor, Universidad de Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain
- Cynthia Kane, Professor, Neurobiology and Developmental Sciences, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas
- Steven A. Leadon, (position unknown)
- John Little, Professor, Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- Jerry Little, Professor, Biology, York University, Toronto
- Scott (Shi-Kau) Liu, Researcher, Maxygen, Inc., Santa Clara, California
- Su-Chin Liu, deceased
- Yafei Liu, Research Associate, University of California, Berkeley, California
- Mats Ljungman, Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Dan Lloyd, Assistant Professor, Dept of Biosciences, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent U.K.
- Stephen Lloyd, Professor, Oregon Health & Science University.
- Warren Masker, Professor, Biochemistry, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Isabel Mellon, Associate Professor, Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky
- Rogerio Meneghini, Co-creator and scientific coordinator, SciELO project, Brazil.
- Bruce Mills, M.D., San Francisco, California
- Mitsuoki Morimyo, Researcher, National Institute of Radiobiological Sciences, Chiba-shi, Japan
- Hiroaki Nakayama, Professor, Biochemistry and Microbiology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
- Thierry Nouspikel, Laboratory of Molecular Diagnostics, Geneva University, Switzerland.
- Dennis Oh, Assistant Professor, Department of Dermatology, UCSF.
- Crellin Pauling, deceased
- George Pearson, Professor, Biochemistry and Biophysics, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
- Michel Philippe, Professor, Laboratory of Genetics and Development, University of Rennes, Brittany, France
- David Phillips, Professor of Environmental Carcinogenesis, The Haddow Laboratories, Institute of Cancer Research, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, U.K.
- Michael Reusch, Professor, Dermatology, Kiel, W. Germany
- Alain Sarasin, Directeur emeritus, Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
- Masahiko Sato, Associate Professor, Laval University, Quebec, Canada
- David Scicchitano, Collegiate Professor of Biology; Dean of Science, NYU Abu Dhabi, New York University, New York.
- Clifford Selsky, M.D., Yale, Connecticut
- Michael Smeaton.
- Charles Allen Smith, Senior Research Associate, Stanford University, Stanford, California
- Hasia Swartz, Researcher, Bio-Technology General, Rehovot, Israel
- Kevin S. Sweder, Professor of Practice, Syracuse University, New York
- Silvia Tornaletti, Research Assistant Professor, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Bert van Zeeland, Professor, Department of Radiation Genetics and Chemical Mutagenesis, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
- Jean-Michel Vos, Associate Professor (deceased), Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Isolde Wienhard, Biophysics, Liebig University, W. Germany
Former visiting scientists:
- William C. Baird, Professor, Environmental Sciences Center, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
- Richard Bockrath, Professor, Bacteriology, Indiana University, Indiana
- Kwang-yu Chou, Deputy Head, Division of Molecular Genetics, Institute of Biochemistry, Shanghai, China
- Ernest Chu, Professor, Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Reginald Deering, Professor, Molecular and Cellular Biology, Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania
- Raymond Devoret, Research Scientist, Institute of Mutagenesis and Carcinogenesis, Laboratory of Enzymology CNRS, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
- Arthur Grollman, Professor & Chairman, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, State University of New York, Stonybrook, New York
- George Kantor, Professor of Biology (emeritus), Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
- Alan Lehmann, Senior Researcher, MRC Cell Mutation Unit, University of Sussex, U.K.
- Jonathan Mansbridge, Senior Principal Scientist, Advanced Tissue Sciences, La Jolla, California
- Akira Matsumoto, Research Scientist, Department of Radiation Biophysics, Kobe University Medical School, Japan
- Anwar Nasim, Professor, Pakistan Academy of Sciences, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Tania Pedrini, NRC Researcher, Laboratory of Biochemistry, Genetics and Evolution, Pavia, Italy
- Maria Svetlova, Professor, Russian Academy of Sciences, Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Lioudmila Solovieva, Researcher, Russian Academy of Sciences, Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Ian Walker, Professor Emeritus, Canada
Last Updated: December 2015
Copyright 1998, Graciela Spivak
gspivak at stanford.edu