- Sample6: Partnering to Make Food Safer (HBS course materials)
- The Product Manager (HBS course materials)
Tim Curran, CEO of Sample6, a start-up biotechnology company
developing a novel food safety diagnostics platform, must decide how
to partner with food industry players. How can he best convince
leaders in this mature industry to adopt a new technology and improve
food safety? Additionally, he faces a number of questions related to
product development, marketing, regulatory compliance, and dynamic
industry trends. This case provides an overview of food safety in the
United States, and focuses on the strategic goal of transforming food
safety from a "necessary evil" to a brand-enhancing differentiator.
As Product Manager for the first product release of Sample6, how
would you answer the following questions?
- What opportunity has Sample6 identified?
- Who is the customer? Why are they interested?
- What product has been developed?
- Are there any further features you would push for in the first
- How does Sample6 differentiate itself from other food safety
- What is your launch plan for the first release?
- What should the product roadmap for future releases look like? What
are the implications for market selection, team, financing, sales
- As a product manager, what activities would you do to maximize
your credibility both internally and externally?