EE204: Business Management for
Electrical Engineers and Computer Scientists



Back Bay Battery Simulation

Read

  1. Back Bay Battery Simulation

Purchase Back Bay Battery Simulation for your team

There is a free and a paid version of the Bay Bay Battery simulation. The free version (here) is a demo that lasts only three rounds. Students can play this simulation as many times as they want as a warm-up. Finally, teams should purchase and complete the full simulation (9 rounds) and submit their high score.

Students need to purchase one full version of the Back Bay Battery simulation per team. The cost of the simulation is $12.50 and can be split among team members.

Free demo simulation: http://forio.com/simulate/forio/innovation-demo/simulation/index.html#getting_started.htm
Purchase full simulation: https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/access/24822576

Case Summary

You are the president of Back Bay Battery, a $240 million company, which is a division of a larger $40 billion consumer electronics manufacturer. Back Bay Battery sells two types of batteries: Nickel Metal-Hydride (NiMH) batteries have been a mainstay of the business and currently make up 80% of your revenue. The newer ultracapacitor batteries make up the remaining 20%. You sell your batteries to businesses that produce consumer electronics. Your three primary markets are:

Your two products vary in their performance across five technology features. The features are: energy density, recharge cycles, self-discharge to 50%, recharge time, and price. Your markets vary by the features they desire.

Back Bay Battery Instruction Sheet

Watch the Back Bay Battery instruction video here

  1. Make a group of four to six students. Meet students during the class reception and team building meet and greet on Tuesday, April 8. If students do not have a team by Thursday, April 10, they will be assigned to a team in class that day.
  2. Register your team name and its members by signing up at the class reception.
  3. Go to the prepare tab, watch the video and read:
  4. Go to the Analyze tab to figure out Back Bay Battery's situation and advance rounds by investing the company's money in the Decide tab. (Hint: Don't forget to take a look at R&D Investment Opportunities sub-tab on the Decide page).
  5. Each set of 2008-2016 rounds can be played three times.
  6. The simulation ends on Wednesday, April 16, at 4:00pm. The team that maximizes cumulative profit in their highest of the three rounds wins. The winning team will be notified Wednesday evening and will be asked to present their strategy in class on Thursday, April 17.

Grading

The simulation counts toward your classroom participation. It is worth twice the normal classroom participation grade for the day. Every person on the team gets the same number of points. The winning team scores 6/6 points.

Demo Link

http://forio.com/simulate/forio/innovation-demo/simulation/index.html#getting_started.htm