The Chemists in the Library Working Group has compiled these electronic and print resources for further exploration of the theme of National Chemistry Week: Chemistry’s Contribution to Our Health and Wellness. The resources have been classified by grade level and annotated.
- Learning about the Human Body
- How the body works and how the choices you make can affect your health.
- Diagnosing Diabetes
- Learn more about kidney function, urinalysis and blood testing as well as things you can do if you have Diabetes.
- Understanding Nutrition/Obesity
- Become knowledgeable about nutrition and how many calories your body needs. Also learn about antioxidants in some food and how they can protect you from becoming sick.
- Preventing Infections
- Learn how to prevent infections, how washing your hands can prevent you from becoming sick, and how the body works in defending you against diseases.
- Keeping Teeth Healthy
- See how brushing your teeth can help your teeth healthy. Also learn how plastics can help prevent cavities.
- Preventing Skin Cancer
- Learn about UV and what impact exposure to it has on your skin. Learn how sunscreens can help prevent skin cancer.
- A – Z
- Alphabetical list of resources.
- Health-related museum exhibits.
- Reference Shelf
- Sources of basic reference information.
- How to Find More in Your Library
- Find other interesting books by searching your library’s catalog or by browsing certain call numbers in your library’s stacks.
- How to Find More on the Web
- Find other interesting web sites using search engines and subject directories.
Copyright © 2004 American Chemical Society