The contributors to this collection concentrate on second position clitics and other distribuitonal categories of clitics which arguably behave in a related fashion. Each paper deals in some depth with clitics from a particular language or group of languages, including Sanscrit, Hittite, Ancient Greek, Medieval Romance, European Portuguese, Slavic, Old English, Dutch, Athabaskan, and Ngumpin (Australian)languages. The descriptions of the distribution go beyond the simple observation that the clitics appear second in a clause or phrase and give a detailed account of the exact distribution, as well as ordering among clusters of clitics.
Several different theoretical perspectivesare presents; these different views attention on a variety of issues, both prosodic and syntactic, which a proper theory of the behavior of clitics (second position or otherwise) will have to account for. The accounts of clitic behavior likewise reflect back on issues such as the autonomy of syntax, the interaction of prosody and syntax, the notion of a last resort mechanism, and optimality.
is a research associate at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
is University Porfessor of Linguistics (Emeritus), Ohio State University, and a visiting professor at Stanford University.
- 1 Clitic Placement in European Portuguese and the Position of Subjects
- 2 Phonology and Syntax in the Interpretation of the Tobler-Mussafia Law
- 3 Wackernagel's Law and Unaccusativity in Hittite
- 4 Object Clitics in West Flemmish
- 5 Deriving Wackernagel's Law: Prosodic and Syntactic Factors Determining Clitic Placement in the Language of the Rigveda
- 6 Who's on First? Toward a Prosodic Account of P2 Clitics
- 7 Definiteness and Second Position in Straites Salish
- 8 The Functions of Split-Wackernagel Clitic Systems: Pronominal Clitics in the Ngumpin Languages (Pama-Nyungan family, Northern Australia)
- 9 Second Position to Clitic Pronouns in Old Spanish and Categorial Grammar
- 10 Cliticization in Old English
- 11 Clitics in Serbian/Croation: Comp as the Second Position
- 12 The Placement of Serbo-Croation Clitics: A Prosodic Approach
- 13 Now That We're All Here, Where Do We Sit? Phonological Ordering in the Vedic Clause-Initial String
- 14 A Prosodic Account of Clitic Position in Ancient Greek
- 15 A Note on Clitics and Prosody
- 16 The Balkan Slavic Nomincal Clitics
- 17 Second Position Clitics in Medieval Romance
- 18 Clitics, Scrambling, and Head Movement in Dutch
- Language Index
- Name Index
- Subject Index