Social and Information Network Analysis
World Wide Web, blogging platforms, instant messaging and Facebook can be
characterized by the interplay between rich information content, the
millions of individuals and organizations who create and use it, and the
technology that supports it.
The course will cover recent research on
the structure and analysis of such large social and information networks
and on models and algorithms that abstract their basic properties.
Class will explore how to practically analyze large scale network data and how to
reason about it through models for network structure and evolution.
Topics include methods for link analysis and network community detection,
diffusion and information propagation on the web, virus
outbreak detection in networks, and connections with work in the social
sciences and economics.
Important course information will be posted on this web page and announced in class. You are responsible for all material that appears here and should check this page for updates frequently.
- 9/27: The first class will be held at 3:00PM on Tuesday 9/27, in Gates B1. We look forward to seeing you there!
The info sheet for the course is available: [Info Sheet]
- 9/27: We will have 2 recitation sessions. Sessions will be video recorded and slides posted here:
- SNAP.PY: Friday, 9/30, 12:30-1:20pm in Huang 18
- Review of probability, linear algebra and proof techniques: Monday, 10/3, 3:00-3:50pm in Gates B03
- 9/27: Homework 0 is out (due Oct. 6) [Homework 0]. Submission Template for HW0 [pdf | tex]. Solutions: [PDF][Code].
- 9/29: Homework 1 is out (due Oct. 13) [Homework 1]. Submission Template for HW1 [pdf | tex]. Solutions: [PDF].
- 10/13: Homework 2 is out (due Oct. 27) [Homework 2]. Submission Template for HW2 [pdf | tex]. Solutions: [PDF].
- 10/27: Homework 3 is out (due Nov. 10) [Homework 3]. Submission Template for HW3 [pdf | tex]. Solutions: [PDF].
- 11/10: Homework 4 is out (due Dec. 1) [Homework 4]. Submission Template for HW4 [pdf | tex].
Office Hours: Thursdays 4:30-5:30PM, Gates 418
SCPD students please send email beforehand if you want to talk to Jure
Tuesday & Thursday 3:00PM - 4:20PM in Gates B1
Watch video lectures on SCPD (any Stanford student can see them here).
You can reach us at email@example.com
Use Piazza to post class related questions: http://piazza.com/stanford/fall2016/cs224w (use access code "snap" to register)
TAs and Office hours:
Office Hours: Monday 10:30-12:30pm, Location: Gates B26
Office Hours: Monday 12:30-2:30pm, Location: Huang Basement
Office Hours: Tuesday 12:00-2:00pm, Location: Gates 450
Office Hours: Wednesday 10:00-12:00pm, Location: Huang Basement
Office Hours: Wednesday 3:00-5:00pm, Location: Huang Basement
Office Hours: Thursday 1:00-3:00pm, Location: Gates 448
Office Hours: Friday 4:00-6:00pm, Location: Huang Basement
Students can also participate in office hours via Google Hangout at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous versions of the course
CS224W: Fall 2015
2015 student project reports
CS224W: Fall 2014
2014 student project reports
CS224W: Fall 2013
2013 student project reports
CS224W: Fall 2012
2012 student project reports
CS224W: Fall 2011
2011 student project reports
CS224W: Fall 2010
2010 student project reports
CS322: Fall 2009
2009 student project reports